Fire Extinguishers ?????

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Several years ago I bought a class AB dry powder fire extinguisher from Lowes (cost about $50) to keep on my tractor. I got one that was is about 5-6 lbs and is all metal (metal valve and handle) so it could be recharged, I had read somewhere that the cheaper plastic units typically can't be recharged (is that true?), they are essentially disposable. Well, now my FE is showing no charge on the gauge so I called a couple places to see what it would cost to get it recharged, one place said $25, the other place said $27. Both places said it would be extra if they had to do the hydro test to see if it would hold the charge to start with. One place said that would cost $55, but that price included charging it up as well.

So now I'm thinking it might be better to just go buy a new FE after every few years. What do you guys do for a FE to carry on your tractor??

(And yes, I am aware that you need to shake them up every so often because the powder inside them can settle and be like a chunk of frozen snow)

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #2  
The very first 'modification' I did with my 4105 was mount a fire extinguisher on my ROPS.

I'm on my second, disposable, unit now... not because I've had to use one of them but because tree-limb damage or simple tractor vibration has damaged the gauge. The gauge is the least robust part of an extinguisher.

Due to my Naval career, I have fire extinguishers everywhere around my house and property. :) 2 in the house (kitchen & wood heater), one in the ute, 2 in the workshop and one on the tractor. The only one that I've had to replace was the one on the tractor... and I suspect that the replaced one is still good so it's my second one in the shop.

When I mounted he extinguisher on my ROPS, I used a cut-up neoprene koozie(?) - I think that's what you would call them - to act as a vibration buffer.

Attachments

• mirror 1 (1).JPG
    mirror 1 (1).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 651
   / Fire Extinguishers ????? #3  
   / Fire Extinguishers ????? #4  
I did fire extinguisher service on my days off from the fire department before I retired. The hydro test is required every 12 years. Every 6 years you have discharge and refill extinguisher. Annually you inspect for damage and fluff the powder. That consists of turning it upside down and tapping with a rubber mallet till the powder was loose. There should be a date stamp somewhere on the extinguisher showing last hydro. The 6 year service will be a label.

When we discharged an extinguisher the powder is reclaimed in the hopper we used to fill extinguishers, so essentially you are buying your own powder back. There is a valve stem that seats against an O-ring in the valve body. The metal valve bodies do seem to hold up better over time, the plastic valve bodies tend to leak after discharge and recharge.

For $20 the small Kidde 1A, 10BC plastic extinguisher is basically disposable. Most extinguisher services will not or can not service them. After refilling the powder you attach a hose for the nitrogen where the discharge hose or nozzle screws in. If it has the nozzle molded into the valve body you cannot recharge it. I buy them at Lowes and scatter them all over the property. If it leaks down or gets used I buy a new one. I do have a nice CO2 extinguisher for the kitchen and a couple of old pressurized water extinguishers I refill myself. They are great when welding on fence in case you get a little flare up.

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #5  
Several years ago I bought a class AB dry powder fire extinguisher from Lowes (cost about $50) to keep on my tractor. I got one that was is about 5-6 lbs and is all metal (metal valve and handle) so it could be recharged, I had read somewhere that the cheaper plastic units typically can't be recharged (is that true?), they are essentially disposable. Well, now my FE is showing no charge on the gauge so I called a couple places to see what it would cost to get it recharged, one place said $25, the other place said $27. Both places said it would be extra if they had to do the hydro test to see if it would hold the charge to start with. One place said that would cost $55, but that price included charging it up as well.

So now I'm thinking it might be better to just go buy a new FE after every few years. What do you guys do for a FE to carry on your tractor??

(And yes, I am aware that you need to shake them up every so often because the powder inside them can settle and be like a chunk of frozen snow)

Dry Chem extinguisher? You would be better off carrying a six pack of beer on the tractor . A 2-1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher treated with AFFF will knock down and extinguish a fire that 100lbs of dry Chem can't entinguish.

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #6  
Dry Chem extinguisher? You would be better off carrying a six pack of beer on the tractor . A 2-1/2 gallon pressurized water extinguisher treated with AFFF will knock down and extinguish a fire that 100lbs of dry Chem can't entinguish.

While true, no way I am carrying a 2.5g can on my tractor. I have 1a10bc extinguishers scattered in locations around the house and garage, one on the tractor, and a 2.5g can in the house. For a fire inside the house I would definitely walk past several dry chems to get to the water can.

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #7  
Heard on Toby Tobin show last weekend about "Cold Fire" in a spray can. Hardware stores in KC area had them on sale for $7-$8 dollars a can. Their description sounded perfect for Tractor or Auto.

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #8  
I have some old water extinguishers that I love, just have to keep them from freezing. You fill them up and put an air hose to them. Nice to have at the brush pile. A great hit with small boys too.

I also have a few Carbon Dioxide extinguishers that I would try and use, before resorting to dry chemical, on account of the mess. They also don't need to be recharged after one slight use.

I set off a dry extinguisher in a Canadian Tire, when I was five. I just remember all of a sudden everything was yellow. That must have been some mess for them to clean up.

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #9  
Halon is the sweet setup if you can find a used one. It won't be economical to refill if you empty it, but on the other hand, one extinguisher will put out many small fires, and they are reusable till empty.

Did a quick search and here is a reasonably priced one. 9lb Halon Amerex fire extinguisher | eBay as an example.

/ Fire Extinguishers ????? #10  
What people don't realize is that the powder is very corrosive and a BEAR to clean up if discharged in house. I have CO2 extinguishers in the kitchens and a Halon in the computer room. I also have a bunch of dry powder units scattered throughout the house & shop/garage area. But CO2 is the first choice. If I can't get it out with, that I'll start unloading the powder extinguishers. Any port in a storm so to speak.