hearing protection and baffling the brain

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
When I use my tractor for anything but moving in and out of the barn I use hearing protection in the form of muffs. I understand why this is good and agree w/ it. However, wearing such protection can have unexpected consequences (side effects). By that I mean the sound reaching your ears has been 'filtered' and is only part of what was created. In effect they alter normally recognizable sounds unrecognizable. It can also have the opposite effect screening out 'white noise' so your ears hear clearly what was previously 'unhearable'.

For instance, this last w/e I was moving a lot of dirt/gravel and there were times when I was hearing thumping noises from my tractor that I couldnt hear w/ the muffs off. I tracked it down to vibration noise....no problem. In fact the noise I heard w/ muffs on wouldnt have been the sound I expected to hear from the parts in question. So, the lesson I learned again is that attention w/ all senses is vital when operating a tractor. If theyre not agreeing its time to stop and understand the situation.

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #2  
Using hearing protection definitely gets you more in tune with sounds of a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I switched from muffs to plugs.
The average db drop with muffs is 23.
The average db drop with plugs is 28.
One set of muffs (I still own 2 pairs) cost $15-$35.
One box of 100 pairs of plugs -- $20.
Plus, muffs get too hot in the warmer months.

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain
My muffs are multi-purpose...shop, range, tractor and as a ruse when I dont want any 'input' /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I wonder, do plugs and muffs filter different ranges of sound?

Yes, muffs are hot in the summer but then again I couldnt come away from mowing w/o looking like Ive worked. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They also keep the black flys away from my ears (and out of them).

I have the Peltor red type and theyre supposed to be good to 25dB or there abouts. Before I got the tractor I used them in a shop environment and they work really good for that. Guess Im just not a fan of stuffing spongy things in my ears. I will admit though there are times on the range the muffs get in the way...then I wished I had plugs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #4  
Iusually wear both plugs and muffs.

Egon

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #5  
I like Muffs just because they are easier to take on and off. Seems like when I use plugs and I need to remove them for a minute I look down at my dirty hands and those dirty plugs and if I don't have a new pair handy, I go without.

I definitely believe that hearing protection is the smart thing to do. My ears are too important to me. Also, I definitely agree with whoever said that the earmuffs go along way to stopping unwanted input /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #6  
I have a set of Worktunes made by Peltor that are rated at 25 db and have a radio in them. The radio is governed at a safe level, so you can't destroy your hearing while wearing the muffs. They work great. And when I'm working in the trees with lots of branches, I wear my chainsaw helmet with ear muffs and a face guard. It's saved me on more than one occassion from some pretty nasty cuts.

I find hearing protection a necessity any time I am running my tractor, simply due to the hydro tranny. I love it, don't get me wrong, but the whine drives me nuts. So I put them on even to move it a few hundred feet.

J.

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #7  
Boiler,
I use the Worktunes as well. I can still hear the engine and the mower sounds, so I'll know right away if anything is wrong. The most important thing for me is enjoy the tunes without blocking everything else out. Keep your mind on what you're doing and let the music be in the background.

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain
Oh, the radio adds an entirely new dimension to this discussion. So, w/ the radio on can you adequately hear your machine?

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #9  
Yes I can........the Worktunes limits the volume limit and it works for me.

/ hearing protection and baffling the brain #10  
I use Pro Ears. I learned about them about a year ago on TBN from this thread .