Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW!

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #1  

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
Maybe not "Tractor & Equipment" related, but definitely related to "Safety" so I posted here :thumbsup:

Currently all 50 states (only DC does not) have enacted some form of "Move Over" laws in the effort to protect police and emergency personnel, highway maintenance workers, construction workers, utility workers, tow truck drivers and even just someone changing a flat tire or broken down. Did you know about this?

If you don't know about or are not familiar with this, please visit: Move Over America | Protect Law Enforcement Officers . While that site is dedicated to the LOE's the laws help protect other workers as well. More info by state: Move Over Law - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Now, one of our main suppliers, B/A Products serves the towing industry in large part, so they have focus in on the tow truck drivers mainly-as does this video but all workers on the roadside deserve the respect of drivers and the right to go home to their families. Here is very touching video they produced and asked us to help spread the word, and we'd appreciate if you would help as well with friends and family:

Press Release:

Over the years, providing safe and quality products remained at the core of B/A's mission as well as pushing the boundaries for new innovation. This was the crux of B/A deciding to go beyond the safety built within the products to the roadside itself. Raising awareness about the dangers of the roadside to the general public has been a concern at the forefront of this industry for years. Despite the Move Over Law being passed throughout the USA, many Towers, Police Officers, Fire Fighters, EMT's and other Roadside Workers continuously lose their lives to preventable mistakes by unknowing drivers.For years B/A has been creating products to help increase visibility of those on the road along with using ads and social media to raise awareness. This year, B/A wanted to do more. The B/A creative team felt they could help the public see and feel what it's like to be on a busy roadside by putting them in the shoes of a Tower and what they might experience on any given day. Throughout a simple short story, we see all first responders working together and putting themselves in harms way to help an accident victim beginning to end.

By focusing on the loud whooshing sound and gusts of wind as cars fly by at close proximity, the viewer starts to feel the stress and realization of how easily someone could be killed with one wrong step to the left. The video demonstrates how a small courtesy provides a necessary buffer and allows a young Father and Husband to safely return home to his family at the end of a hard workday.

The video ends on a positive note, showing how when one person moves over, it creates a "lead by example" chain reaction where others behind the initial person slow down and move over. Most of the general public are unfamiliar with basic roadside dangers. However, it is human instinct to identify and sympathize with a young couple wanting to see each other home safely and that is how B/A intends to capture the hearts and minds of the viewers. When B/A's Executive VP was first approached with the idea for creating this video, his response was: "If this can help one person move over one time and it saves one life, it was worth it."

B/A Products sincerely hopes this video makes such an impact that we see a new appreciation of first responders and roadside workers through the simple acts of slowing down and moving over. If we can develop a new mentality where more people serve as an example to those in the car behind them, we can finally pay it forward to the men and women who risk their lives each day for each of us.

Last edited:
   / Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #2  
Good post - seems a lot of people have no idea about the law or even the concept.

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #4  
I would like to add: if it is save to do so

I see people do the craziest moves to move over (endangering themselves and others), or to get out of the way of emergency vehicles, or just stop on the road.

I like the European way. Make way, give room, but keep moving. Stopped traffic blocking the road is not of help for emergency responders.

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #5  
It's a larger problem than I thought. This is just for WA.

Washington's "Move Over" Law Changes On Jan. 1 : NPR

...troopers at traffic stops and accidents continue to be sideswiped and injured at a high rate. Dan Coon: "In 2007, there were 18; in 2008, there were 30 and in 2009, there was 23 collisions with our troopers. And that's just our troopers!"

...drivers won't be ticketed for failure to move over if it's not possible or not safe to do so. In that event, the police advise to just slow down and drive with caution past the scene.

WSP enforcing state’s move-over law | The Columbian

According to the Washington State Patrol, 212 of the agency’s vehicles were struck during traffic stops between 2007 and 2014

Bruce

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #6  
So, what EXACTLY is the law in Ontario? If you have a four lane highway, basically free of traffic and and ambulance comes up behind you, your way, do you have to stop on the shoulder? Seems kind of unnecessary?

If there is a single pickup truck on the shoulder with amber lights flashing, like a highway maintenance contractor, do you have to move over? What about on a two lane? Should you cross a solid line?

What about a tractor with flashing amber lights?

How do you know, what's up ahead with the flashing lights?

All, very confusing.

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #7  
So, what EXACTLY is the law in Ontario? If you have a four lane highway, basically free of traffic and and ambulance comes up behind you, your way, do you have to stop on the shoulder? Seems kind of unnecessary?
I slow down and move to the right.
If there is a single pickup truck on the shoulder with amber lights flashing, like a highway maintenance contractor, do you have to move over? What about on a two lane? Should you cross a solid line?
If there is room to move over, I do. If no room then I move as close to the center line as I dare.
What about a tractor with flashing amber lights? Again, if it is safe to do so, I move over.

How do you know, what's up ahead with the flashing lights?

All, very confusing.

They say, 'slow down and move over if it is safe to do so'. If it is not safe to move over, then slow down.

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #8  
I have always done what I consider safe, offers courtesy and respect, but as far as what is now illegal, I am in the dark. Same thing with new crosswalk legislation.

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #9  
We have had the move over laws for a while now. I think Arkansas had theirs first and then Missouri but I am not sure, but in any case I became aware of it because I mostly drove in the state of Arkansas even though I live in Missouri. I would say most people around here do abide by the law, but not all. Perhaps it is ignorance or perhaps it is just carelessness or preoccupation like talking on a cell phone.

As for Canada, in watching the Canada located and produced TV show "Highway thru H377" it appears that the majority of drivers in Canada sure don't give the tow truck operators much room at all and they sure don't slow down. Eh?

I know here in Missouri since I have friends in law enforcement, that have been nearly killed and their patrol cars slammed into by careless/high/drunk drivers with full beacon lights shining at traffic stops on the side of the road. There are a lot more near misses than deaths, but we do have workers killed by motorists due to not following the law and refusal to slow down.

/ Slow Down, Move Over Video-It's the LAW! #10  
Officials SHOULD realize how such accidents happen. It you are focused on something, like a cruiser with a ridiculous amount of high power LED strobes on it, that is what you will hit, unless you focus elsewhere. Taken from a book "Driving At The Limits Of Adhesion". They would be best to darken the cruiser, but that wouldn't satisfy the Ego in most cops.