Lifting Equipment safely

/ Lifting Equipment safely #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I am currently restoring an old Gravely wing mower, pretty rare, have two of them to renovate.
As I get older and my arthritis and spine problems get worse, I can't crawl under this equipment any more or it really hurts my fused neck.
So...I need to lift this equipment up higher to work on it.

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday looking for a lift, knowing I'd have to modify it to make a larger platform.
Their ATV/Utility lift was way too small. I know lawn mower shops have neat hydraulic lifts in the floor, but that isn't going to happen in my barn.
Can anyone recommend an equipment lift that will raise 1 ton two to three feet in the air? Higher the better. My diesel JD garden tractor is pretty heavy.

If I can lift the unit up I can work on it without bending over.
Currently trying to get the rusted spindles off this mower, been sitting for years. Would sure be easier if it were higher, plus even with a dozen jack stands I still don't like getting under there.

I use my FEL now to pick up my mowers for blade sharpening. Have a lot of small equipment I could use a lift on, in fact most of it. Would be nice to sit down on a rolling chair and work on my equipment. That would be just marvelous. And safe.

Ideas? Thanks Drew

Attachments

• gravely wing mower 1.JPG
    gravely wing mower 1.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 685
   / Lifting Equipment safely #2  
How about a gantry? I made one out of old stuff I had laying around and some donation wheels from my dad. This gray one is one we have at work. It's a tad heavier duty. IMG_3965.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_5954.JPG
    IMG_5954.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 482
   / Lifting Equipment safely
How about a gantry? I made one out of old stuff I had laying around and some donation wheels from my dad. This gray one is one we have at work. It's a tad heavier duty. View attachment 496971

thanks, I've looked at those in the Northern Tools catalog plus at Harbor Freight. About a grand to get something basic, more if all electric.
But what about the thing wobbling around, almost nothing I work on has pick up loops like on my Everything Attachments rake and blade, which pull up perfectly level. Puts a smile on my face when I see it, someone actually placed it intelligently. Good basic engineering.
But my garden tractors don't have them, nor do the mowers. Unless the gantry picks up a self leveling floor of sorts that the equipment sits on.
that will have me thinking for awhile. Thanks

/ Lifting Equipment safely #4  
I believe what you need is something like a "Low Rise Auto Lift" .

/ Lifting Equipment safely #5  
Did youu say Gravely,,, and loader??

Here is my 24G Gravely,, they do not get any heavier,,,

up_zpse0a5e4f5.jpg

This is the 700 pound mower deck off the 24G

Deck2_zps3a6226d3.jpg

/ Lifting Equipment safely #6  
Drew a portable automotive lift/hoist would probably be a good thing . because it could be easily stored leaning against a wall when not in use.

/ Lifting Equipment safely #7  
We have an I-beam mounted across above the entryway just inside the barn, with an electric hoist on a roller. I use it for mower maintenance mostly, by using a tow strap to lift the front bumper on the rider, and across the front wheel mounts on the zero-turn.

/ Lifting Equipment safely #8  
I'm currently in the middle of working on my ATV after it decided to become a member of the Polar Bear club after take a dip in the lake last weekend. brrr!

But I left it on the utility trailer when I parked it in the garage. THAT was handy as heck, because everything is now at the right height.

/ Lifting Equipment safely #9  
There are two ways that I would go about this:
1. With a turf equipment lift (I worked at a place that had a Heftee brand one that was nice: http://www.heftee.com/products/products.cfm )
2. With a small walk behind forklift such as Crown Electric Vertical Pallet Jack (otherwise known as a walkie or stacker) and pallets that fit your equipment
I lean toward the forklift because of the other things you can use it for, but to each their own.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Lifting Equipment safely #10  
I use a loader for lifting things I don't have to get under. Or on a pallet and I can adjust height to suit. Yes, it sucks to get old.

I also put things on small pallet racking that has been bolted up tight. Or any frame good and strong.

DSC04381.JPGDSC04404.JPGDSC01726.JPG