Lowering attachments to the ground

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #1  

mcfarmall

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5660, Farmall C, JD 260 lawn tractor
Does anybody but me lower their attachments, loader, etc. to the ground when parking their tractor or other ag equipment? I've seen more combines and tractors parked around in fields and farmsteads with the headers up in the air, loader buckets and bale spears in the air, brush cutters, plows, blades, etc. all flying high.

I was taught that when you park a piece of equipment, you lower ALL implements and attachments to the ground for safety.

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #2  
They probably want to keep passersby or nosey kids from getting to the equipment.

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #3  
I always lower all attachments to the ground.

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #5  
Same here. But it makes me wonder why the other owners leave them up??? ,,,beside nosey kids ... which seems remote to me in a farming neighborhood......maybe rust??

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #6  
Lower for me...

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #7  
I lower mine. I've always see combines with headers up - must be rust. Otherwise, most ground engagement implements are pulled via the drawbar and are down.

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #8  
Always lower mine, unless, there is a chance the tractor will not start when I use it next time. Ken Sweet

/ Lowering attachments to the ground #10  
All equipment training courses start out with safety procedures. Lowering attachments or implements is a #1 safety item and is covered by OSHA as such Big reasons are they create a tripping hazard, are prone to being run into by the unaware, and Sudden release of hydraulics or brakes can drop the item. I have seen contractors lift their generators and etc up on the crane hook and leave, (apparently to thwart theft). Safety wise that is a No! No!. Fines are levied on that procedure often.

Ron