Wheel Spinner Safety

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #1  

Joe1

Platinum Member
Tractor
1998 JD 770 & 2004 Toro LX417
Has anyone had any safety issues related to wheel spinners on tractors? My concern would be if one hit a hole and the steering wheel spun suddenly that one could get a broken finger or thumb or a bad bruise.

Thanks.

Joe

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #2  
I don't have a spinner knob, but I think the problem you state would only be a problem on tractors witout power steering. Then I don't know.

Cliff

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #3  
With power steering it's not a problem. The wheel does not jerk like a non-power steering wheel will. If you want one, go for it. G

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #4  
I have been using one on mine for about a year. With power steering, you will hardly feel uneven ground and it really gives you more precise control than just spinning the wheel with your fingers. I am thinking about adding a second one. Mine sits about 4 o'clock, just right for my right hand. I am thinking adding another at 8 o'clock for when I want to use my left hand. Anyone ever tried that???

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #5  
Joe, 45-50 years ago, those spinner knobs were fairly popular on cars and trucks without power steering, and they were also known as "suicide knobs" and frequently did just the damage you mentioned to thumbs and fingers. I've also seen some of the old ones come apart as a driver was turning, and he was suddenly left with a knob in his hand and the steering wheel whipping back the opposite direction. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif There's no telling how many broken thumbs and wrecked vehicles resulted from the use of those things. Probably won't happen with power steering and the modern knobs.

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #6  
i recently installed one on my mahindra(w/ power steering) and it's the best thing since sliced bread! i operate my controls with my right hand and the spinner makes left hand steering a breeze(especially backing to my implements and tight turns when plowing).

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #7  
Besides not being a problem on tractors with power steering.. just about anything that uses a worm gear steering mechanism will be immue too... the worm turns the steering gear fine.. however if the steering gear turns.. it binds up against the worm.. etc.. Fords steering boxes have been similar to that since.

Soundguy

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #8  
My brother's father inlaw was running an old roller on a job that had a spinner knob and the remote hydraulic steering valve went as its ind stops and some how had a burst of fluid the opposite direction inside the orbit valve. the knob flew back around breaking his wrist. Thats a rare thing to happen on a 45 year old machine.

/ Wheel Spinner Safety
Thanks for the Info.

Joe

/ Wheel Spinner Safety #10  
Where can I find one in Kubota orange. I will be buying an L3130 soon. I had been planning on adding a knob.