Tractor hauling accident

/ Tractor hauling accident #11  
Another fella who went for a "trailer ride". And by reading his post, it doesn't sound like he has any idea why this happened. That is unfortunate. I'm glad that he wasn't hurt, nor anyone else...

As many of you seem to know, there is only ONE reason that trailers sway constantly, and it is insufficient tongue weight. That sway may go away when you accelerate, or go uphill, but it will come back stronger when you then try to slow down, or when you go downhill.

The ONLY solution is to get more weight on the tongue. Tires don't matter, nor do brakes. Nor does ANYTHING else. If you have insufficient tongue weight, the trailer is GOING to sway under some condition, and if the conditions are right, the sway will be violent enough to drag a 3/4 ton truck around like nothing, even with a trailer that DOESN'T outweigh the truck.

For those of you reading with interest, know this: IF you tow a trailer, and you see or feel it swaying back and forth, you need to IMMEDIATELY and carefully slow down and stop. (Using the trailer brakes only will stabilize the trailer while you slow.) Then move some weight forward on the trailer.

PLEASE ensure you have sufficient tongue weight when towing, and be aware that sway that seems to happen on it's own IS A WARNING that the trailer may try to kill you or others if the situation is not corrected.

FWIW, most 2011 or newer Ford/GM/Dodge trucks should have "trailer sway control" as part of the stability control system. This system is NOT meant to help in windy conditions, or to be a solution to towing trailers that are unstable, it is an emergency system that will activate to stabilize the system and SLOW YOU DOWN if it detects recurring trailer sway. If this should happen to you, take the opportunity to stop and re-load the trailer to keep the situation from activating again.

/ Tractor hauling accident #12  
Another fella who went for a "trailer ride". And by reading his post, it doesn't sound like he has any idea why this happened. That is unfortunate. I'm glad that he wasn't hurt, nor anyone else...

As many of you seem to know, there is only ONE reason that trailers sway constantly, and it is insufficient tongue weight. That sway may go away when you accelerate, or go uphill, but it will come back stronger when you then try to slow down, or when you go downhill.

The ONLY solution is to get more weight on the tongue. Tires don't matter, nor do brakes. Nor does ANYTHING else. If you have insufficient tongue weight, the trailer is GOING to sway under some condition, and if the conditions are right, the sway will be violent enough to drag a 3/4 ton truck around like nothing, even with a trailer that DOESN'T outweigh the truck.

For those of you reading with interest, know this: IF you tow a trailer, and you see or feel it swaying back and forth, you need to IMMEDIATELY and carefully slow down and stop. (Using the trailer brakes only will stabilize the trailer while you slow.) Then move some weight forward on the trailer.

PLEASE ensure you have sufficient tongue weight when towing, and be aware that sway that seems to happen on it's own IS A WARNING that the trailer may try to kill you or others if the situation is not corrected.

FWIW, most 2011 or newer Ford/GM/Dodge trucks should have "trailer sway control" as part of the stability control system. This system is NOT meant to help in windy conditions, or to be a solution to towing trailers that are unstable, it is an emergency system that will activate to stabilize the system and SLOW YOU DOWN if it detects recurring trailer sway. If this should happen to you, take the opportunity to stop and re-load the trailer to keep the situation from activating again.

Very good advise. Advise a lot do not use or follow. I am surprised at the number of deaths by motor vehicle suicide jockeys towing a trailer I see on the interstate running 70-75 miles per hour with the trailer looking like a hula dancer shaking her hips behind the truck.

/ Tractor hauling accident #13  
The aftermarket brake controller in our old GMC had a manual sliding lever/button(?) to apply the brakes to the trailer alone. However, the brake controller is built in to our new RAM and doesn't seem to have any way to apply the brakes to the trailer except by pushing on the brake pedal. Am I missing something, or has the option to apply the trailer brakes by themselves been taken away?

/ Tractor hauling accident #14  
My 2014 f350 has a manual trailer brake lever.

/ Tractor hauling accident #15  
2015 Chevy 2500HD has trailer brake lever

/ Tractor hauling accident #16  
The aftermarket brake controller in our old GMC had a manual sliding lever/button(?) to apply the brakes to the trailer alone. However, the brake controller is built in to our new RAM and doesn't seem to have any way to apply the brakes to the trailer except by pushing on the brake pedal. Am I missing something, or has the option to apply the trailer brakes by themselves been taken away?

Does the owners manual mention it?

/ Tractor hauling accident #18  
My new to me 2013 Silverado has traction control and stability control but did not have a brake controller til I installed it. Manual says stability control is for the trailer sway correction by applying the trade brakes.

/ Tractor hauling accident #19  
My new to me 2013 Silverado has traction control and stability control but did not have a brake controller til I installed it. Manual says stability control is for the trailer sway correction by applying the trade brakes.
Hitting the manual switch on your brake controller when the trailer starts swaying can save your life. Hitting your brake pedal when away starts will just make things worse really quickly.

The new Ford's with the integrated brake controller will hit the trailer brakes automatically if it senses problems. My friend with a several year old Ecoboost F150 is glad for that feature. Younger nephew was driving his rig in the convoy & something happened causing a fair bit of trailer sway. Controller threw the brakes on the trailer right away. Really good as the nephews first reaction was to hit the brake pedal. But the controller got things under control before that became a bad mistake. I assume most other manufacturers have that as part of the integrated stability control if there is an OEM controller option.

/ Tractor hauling accident #20  
As many of you seem to know, there is only ONE reason that trailers sway constantly, and it is insufficient tongue weight... The ONLY solution is to get more weight on the tongue. Tires don't matter, nor do brakes. Nor does ANYTHING else.

I know what you're trying to say, but I think you took it a bit too far. I have a trailer to use as an example. My aluminum snowmobile trailer has a tandem axle and is 29' long with a V nose. This trailer has never felt stable and would be prone to "sway". The problem was especially bad when passing semi's. The air coming off the semi would push the v-nose to the left forcing you to counter steer to the right. As you get to the front of the truck the air drops off and now that counter steer puts you on the center line. You need to now steer to the left and this sets up a trailer sway. I could never balance the trailer right to correct this condition. I finally changed the tires from a B range to a E rated tire. The additional sidewall stiffness is just what the trailer needed. Oh, it still gets pushed around, but the sway settles down very quickly. It's also less sensitive to cross winds. My point is, there is more than one reason for trailer sway and tongue weight isn't the only solution.

My truck does have sway control, and even with the stiffer tires I can feel it work sometimes. Usually it's when a good cross wind blows the trailer sideways. It's really weird because you can actually feel the steering wheel turn slightly to help correct the sway.