Tractor hauling accident

/ Tractor hauling accident #2  
I think the coupler was a symptom, not the cause. The fact that the trailer landed on top of the tractor would suggest the tractor was not properly secured to the trailer. If it was loaded improperly or shifted during transit a sway could have started resulting in the loss of control. I'd guess the trailer detached and speared the median causing the tractor to come off and barrel roll.

/ Tractor hauling accident #3  
Even though the guy has lots of experience hauling heavy loads I wonder if maybe he had the tractor loaded just a little off to where it needed to be. Going downhill could've been just enough to get it swaying and it got away from him. That wasn't much of a load for a 2 5/16 hitch so I can't imagine it was due to overloading.

Brett

/ Tractor hauling accident #6  
Went from a little sway to pushing my F250 Superduty 4 x 4 all over the road in about 15 seconds. After about a mile of me trying to out run the wreck and stay ahead of it until I got to flat ground again the left side of the trailer hit the median

Maybe I am a complete moron but in that situation wouldn't you be applying trailer brakes only instead of simply speeding up to outrun the trailer?

/ Tractor hauling accident #7  
Maybe I am a complete moron but in that situation wouldn't you be applying trailer brakes only instead of simply speeding up to outrun the trailer?
EXACTLY!!! Speeding up is the worst thing to do. Just because you've done a lot of hauling with a trailer, does not mean you know what you are doing... maybe you are just lucky.

Did you see that he rebuilt that tractor :shocked:

/ Tractor hauling accident #8  
Seeing things like that remind me of why I bought a longer trailer than the bare minimum, and why I load tongue heavy.

/ Tractor hauling accident #9  

Maybe.
Hard to say. Sometimes a trailer that has little or negative tongue weight will track straight as long as there's lateral force on the hitch and other linkage. ((e.g. acceleration or being pulled up a hill). Think of a chain. The problem with trying to (hard) brake a trailer that is undergoing major side-to-side sway is that it'll just kick the trailer into a sideways skid / jack-knife. Maybe that's why he was trying to "outrun" it, that is, pull it out of the sway and retry slowing down. It didn't work.

Once in a sway you're kind of at it's mercy. Braking can be the worst thing to do too.

/ Tractor hauling accident #10  
He did mention that he recommends a trailer with brakes on both (all) axles. My guess would be he only had brakes on one axle, if he had brakes at all. If he did have brakes on only one axle, it may not have had enough bite to properly slow/pull the trailer.

Even though he also said to avoid "cheap" tires, his trailer tires look in tact - so, it doesn't appear that he suffered trailer tire failure.

I agree that it looks like the tractor may not have been securely tied down