2 yr old dies from zero turn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #11  
20170605_121338.jpg

I had a talk with this Grandmother this morning. She did not care for my interference but I couldn't believe what I was seeing and had to stop. I'm not going to post a better picture out of privacy for the children however she was mowing with a zero. One child behind her seat and the other sitting on top of the front deck.

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #12  
McReynolds, a co-owner of A.P. Suggins Bar & Grill, told police he had worked that day and had consumed two one-pint draft beers.

When he got home later that day, he allowed Adelaide to ride on the mower with him. She sat in a child's chair that McReynolds had placed on the mower's front deck while he cut the grass, McReynolds told police.

"The seat is not fastened down or in any way attached to the mower," a police officer said in the complaint against McReynolds.

McReynolds told police that his 7-year-old son, Sam, came out of the house later and sat in McReynolds' lap as he mowed.

McReynolds said he was mowing "at about half throttle" and made a turn, and Adelaide fell from the mower.

"Before Mr. McReynolds could stop, he ran the child over, and the blades were turning and struck the child in several areas of the body," the complaint said. "Mr. McReynolds advised that he struck the child before he even noticed that she was not in the seat."

The father refused to submit to blood and urine tests and was detained, the complaint said. Police obtained a warrant and took McReynolds to the University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, where samples of his blood and urine were taken.

A Kentucky State Police laboratory report issued in June said McReynolds had a blood-alcohol content of 0.04 percent. A driver whose blood content registers 0.08 or above is considered to be intoxicated under state law. A consultant for the state medical examiner's office said that at the time of the mowing incident, McReynolds' blood-alcohol content would have been between 0.115 and 0.14 percent.

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #13  
I've got sympathy for all involved. Nobody should have to bury their own child. But the root cause is still negligent stupidity.

Stupidity is usually assigned as hindsight. It is called ignorance before anything happens. If nothing happened that day, I'm willing to bet that "ignorance" would allow that child to ride on that mower again. "Negligence" is usually a way of life. There is no word to be assigned that can describe the grief of this man and sorrow and condolences is all I would connote if I were face to face with this poor soul..

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #14  
Where are all those posters that were riding farm equipment before they were weaned and claim it's just fine to do so ?

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #15  
Oh, aren't you all so perfect! :rolleyes:

No sympathy for the father? I can't imagine the horror of seeing your child hacked up and that picture for ever ingrained in his memory. Accidents do and always will happen.

No sympathy for him whatsoever. I hope it's the first thing he thinks of when he wakes and the last thing he thinks of when he goes to sleep at night...forever.

To call this an accident is belittling the seriousness of it. There was no "due diligence" done whatsoever (just the opposite in fact) and making the sarcastic remark "Oh, aren't you all so perfect! :rolleyes:" does nothing to convince anyone that letting children ride on an implement is dangerous but it does send the message that anyone who advocates safety is exaggerating.

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #16  
No sympathy for him whatsoever. I hope it's the first thing he thinks of when he wakes and the last thing he thinks of when he goes to sleep at night...forever.

To call this an accident is belittling the seriousness of it. There was no "due diligence" done whatsoever (just the opposite in fact) and making the sarcastic remark "Oh, aren't you all so perfect! :rolleyes:" does nothing to convince anyone that letting children ride on an implement is dangerous but it does send the message that anyone who advocates safety is exaggerating.

You hope this will be with him forever? Are you kidding? This is stuff suicide is made up with and yes, it is all of what you say as for the rest of his life he will be living in **** on earth. His anguish deserves sympathy. It is not as if he purposely tried to kill anyone such as what you read in the news lately. Those are the people I hold no sympathy for. You talk as if losing his child is some kind of "lesson". So if you knew the person or even if you did not but attended his daughters wake or funeral, you would say: "I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. I hope it's the first thing you think of when you awake and the last thing you think of when you go to sleep...forever." If he didn't bust you in the face then I would if I were standing next to him.

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #17  
I can not imagine anyone who has run a ztr mower putting a child it with them. Too dangerous. We had I think a three year old the mother had on lap and she fell off and lost an arm above the elbow. No excuse for such. Then saw a man driving a ztr with child sitting on front of the mower deck (not the cutting deck) as he drove the mower. No idea if blades were engaged or not.

On the other side we all have had things to happened and were fortunate enough nothing bad came of it and can only say thank God. Why no doubt some of you let your child sleep on it's stomach which is a no no today so I am told.

It does amaze me for the seriousness of it how little thought some give to the situation they place a helpless person (child or older person) in. I totally dislike it when I hear: "I JUST DID NOT THINK" that was obvious. God gave you a brain, he wants you to use it. A lot.

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #18  
You hope this will be with him forever? Are you kidding? This is stuff suicide is made up with and yes, it is all of what you say as for the rest of his life he will be living in **** on earth. His anguish deserves sympathy. It is not as if he purposely tried to kill anyone such as what you read in the news lately. Those are the people I hold no sympathy for. You talk as if losing his child is some kind of "lesson". So if you knew the person or even if you did not but attended his daughters wake or funeral, you would say: "I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. I hope it's the first thing you think of when you awake and the last thing you think of when you go to sleep...forever." If he didn't bust you in the face then I would if I were standing next to him.

Don't worry...people like him are rarely bothered by such events, after all, it was just an accident. :rolleyes:

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #19  
Stupidity is usually assigned as hindsight. It is called ignorance before anything happens. If nothing happened that day, I'm willing to bet that "ignorance" would allow that child to ride on that mower again. "Negligence" is usually a way of life. There is no word to be assigned that can describe the grief of this man and sorrow and condolences is all I would connote if I were face to face with this poor soul..

Sure. But letting a child ride a lawnmower is an act of stupidity. I didn't claim to tell him that to his face. He either knows it, or he never will.

/ 2 yr old dies from zero turn mower #20  
Its inexcusable, and ridiculous! No parent should endanger a child in this way under ANY circumstances. It is a blatant disregard for the machine, the child's life, and it is just plain stupidity wrapped in neglect and tied with a bow of ignorance and brazen disregard for life.
Every mower tells the owner/user to keep all people and pets far away from the machine, to not leave it running when stopped, to take the keys when not being attended by the owner/operator.
It's NO ACCIDENT when things like this happen. This is a case of preventable manslaughter caused by an ignorant, stupid, worthless, POS individual who deserves the maximum sentence allowed by law.
Suffer his brain with the consequences of his actions, for the rest of his miserable life. Too bad, play, you pay. In this case an innocent life was rendered meaningless by the idiot driving the mower. His choice- take responsibility for one's actions as a supposed adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.