Open carry / firearm handy

/ Open carry / firearm handy #311  
I have the Henry Big Boy in .357. I debated getting it in .45 LC to match my two .45LC pistols but decided that the .357 would be a better long range rifle than the cowboy action .45 LC loads.
I love the way it shoots but to tell you the truth, I haven't shot it enough to really break it in. It doesn't fast feed .38 spc. loads without hanging up so you have to go slow with them, but it works great with .357. Maybe after I shoot a few hundred rounds it may loosen up a bit.
It is a very beautiful gun for sure.

Would love to own a 30-30 or .357 lever gun. Woods very dense here to get more than a 100 yd shot so this type of gun would be very effective. Illegal in this rat trap state of RI. Nothing larger than .229 caliber at any time and no centerfire cartridge from October to February. Yet they allow sabot slugs from a rifled barrel that you can put into a teacup at 200 yards for 3 weeks out of the year..

/ Open carry / firearm handy #312  
Lots of talk about which rifle to use.
I suggest you all look into the 300 Blackout.
I have built 3 in the AR15 frame. Mine were build from parts but if you have an AR all you need to do is change the barrel.
Bullists can be better than the 5.56 AK47 and the 30.30.
Can shoot subsonic if you want quite.

/ Open carry / firearm handy #313  
actually no one is suggesting banning guns (at least in my response), nor telling anyone what or what not to shoot. maybe just a different way of looking at the world. one would hope we could have that diversity & discussion without all the vitrol....no one is coming to take away your guns, my friend

although we probably are on opposite sides of the spectrum, i do wish you well & respect your constitutional right to bear arms, and freedom of speech, some of our most important rights as citizens.

my hope (& know i'm in the minority here) is that there is minimal suffering imposed on the world of creatures and humans as you execute your due right along the way. that's all

good day sir, and enjoy the holidays.

:thumbsup: You are a good man... Well put.

/ Open carry / firearm handy #314  
Done, good riddance, never did care much for ant lovers, people like you trouble me, better make sure you and your crowed have your name in the book because I'll be waiting. 2 Thes 6-10

6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

HAH!!! And they say us liberals are the looney tunes... I agree with 17 Oaks on this one... I may be a gun carrying *******, AND saved by the blood of the lamb...but I'm not nuts...

/ Open carry / firearm handy #315  
Ya'll are talking lever action rifles, I absolutely love my Marlin SS 45/70 guide gun... what a beast!

/ Open carry / firearm handy #316  
My land I work with the tractor actually is a gun range. That's the reason I bought the land. I grow some grapes, sometimes a small garden, hunt the occasional coyote, but primarily it's a place for me to shoot without bothering anyone or being bothering.

It's pretty well secluded at the end of a 1/2 mile private road and every property leading to it is undeveloped woods or fields. Yet frequently people stop by to see what's going on, ask if they can hunt, just say hi, snoop, whatever. I found that when I'm busy with work and anything noisy is running like a generator or tractor, people can literally get right next to me before I notice they are there. My wife drove down to the lower part last weekend while I was building a ramp into shipping container. Tapped me on the shoulder and about gave me a heart attack :) But just a 4k generator 75 yds away and me focused on work was enough that she was able to drive right in, get out of car, and be right on me without me knowing about it. So much for my situational awareness.... :)

But that was a real good illustration for me. ANYONE could wander back when I'm doing something and I'm likely to not notice until they are way too close. So I do like having a pistol on my hip.

What I ended up going with for field work was a Taurus PT111 Gen 2 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I'm typically somewhat of a 'gun snob' and will turn my nose up at a Taurus (Diamondback, Sccy, KelTec, HiPoint, ATI, etc). But I wanted something inexpensive that I don't care about knocking around and my dealer steered me toward this. Wife has a gen1 of same gun and while it is reliable, I really dislike it overall. He offered to let me return it if I hated it (what dealer does that?!?! my guy is awesome) but after putting it thru its paces, I actually like it. I have maybe $225 in the whole rig, a gun that is small enough that it doesn't bother me to have on while working, decent enough retention holster that it will stay put during vigorous activity, and I could care less about how many times I knock it around or how grimy I get it. Would I rather have a Sig, HK, Les Baer, etc in my hand if I truly 'needed' it? Sure. But I'm not going to subject one of those to that kind of abuse. They would handle it just fine, but I just have an issue beating the crap out of a nicer weapon like that. A <$200 Taurus on the other hand....ya, beat it to death :)

/ Open carry / firearm handy #317  
Other than when I was in Vietnam... If I took the times I wish I had a firearm handy and the times I'm probably lucky I did not have a firearm handy.... I think the not having one side would win out... I'd probably be in some prison for crimes against humanity... :)

/ Open carry / firearm handy #318  
Open carry on a tractor is different than in the general public venue. Much less confrontational to public concealed carry unless your intentions are otherwise. If one seeks attention, wear a clown suit, similar result.

/ Open carry / firearm handy #319  
Open carry on a tractor is different than in the general public venue. Much less confrontational to public concealed carry unless your intentions are otherwise. If one seeks attention, wear a clown suit, similar result.

What different worlds we live in!
Here in the South, I see people carry a lot!
No one gives it a second thought.

/ Open carry / firearm handy #320  
What different worlds we live in!
Here in the South, I see people carry a lot!
No one gives it a second thought.

It's becoming more common here as well.