Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 498
  1. #431
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,872
    Location
    Maine
    Tractor
    Kubota L3301

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    That is certainly the safest course. Better to CYA than hand a firearm to someone you don't know even if you could get away with it.
    Back in my younger days I used to buy and sell guns if the price was right-actually that applied to anything so long as it was legally acquired. In 1993 I bought a Taurus .357 revolver with a busted sight; after fixing it I sold it to someone in the next town and made a few bucks. About 6 weeks later a woman was killed in that town with a .357. It was a heart wrenching time, until it came out that her husband- a town cop- had killed her with his service revolver. That was the last sales transfer I ever did without going through a FFL dealer.

  2. #432
    Super Member dragoneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    8,642
    Location
    Seabeck, Washington
    Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, JD LTR166

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstpssng View Post
    Back in my younger days I used to buy and sell guns if the price was right-actually that applied to anything so long as it was legally acquired. In 1993 I bought a Taurus .357 revolver with a busted sight; after fixing it I sold it to someone in the next town and made a few bucks. About 6 weeks later a woman was killed in that town with a .357. It was a heart wrenching time, until it came out that her husband- a town cop- had killed her with his service revolver. That was the last sales transfer I ever did without going through a FFL dealer.
    Nowadays, I wouldn't dream of selling without going through proper channels.

  3. #433
    Elite Member Sysop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,075
    Location
    Fairmont, WV
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
    No. All federal, state and local laws still apply.
    Feds don't state that private parties need to have background checks for firearm transactions, raffles and giveaways fall into this. People sell guns and give guns away all the time without background checks. I think they recently/finally started background checks at gun shows, which is good.

    If you are required to have a background check there to trade with private individuals, that is a law local to you.

  4. #434
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    627
    Location
    Keene, CA
    Tractor
    Kioti DS3510 Husqvarna GT48DXLS

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    Feds don't state that private parties need to have background checks for firearm transactions, raffles and giveaways fall into this. People sell guns and give guns away all the time without background checks. I think they recently/finally started background checks at gun shows, which is good.

    If you are required to have a background check there to trade with private individuals, that is a law local to you.
    Local as in State of California.

  5. #435
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,513
    Location
    N. Georgia
    Tractor
    B2601 FEL

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    That is certainly the safest course. Better to CYA than hand a firearm to someone you don't know even if you could get away with it.
    It didn't bother me at all. I figured it may have been CYA, rather than law, not sure what the law is for that. They all went for stupid high prices.

    Here in GA if you have carry permit there's no background check, just the ATF form. I don't know if that's just a Georgia thing but a deeper check has already been done than NICS for carry card.

  6. #436
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,672
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by prichard View Post
    I was at a farm auction where there were a few firearms. They were very clear that they'd be handed of to a gun shop nearby and the winners had to go to that shop and do paperwork and background check. I'd expect a raffle to do the same.
    The local auctioneer here has a FFL to come out and you fill out the forms right there, then if you pass, you get the gun. If you don't, it goes back up for sale.

    Aaron Z
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Friday

  7. #437
    Veteran Member kf4uda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,129
    Location
    Middle TN
    Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by prichard View Post
    Here in GA if you have carry permit there's no background check, just the ATF form.
    I wish it was that way in TN. To obtain a carry permit here you have to go through a full background check, be fingerprinted and such which I have no problem with. However after all of that you still have to have a background check to purchase a firearm.
    Chris

  8. #438
    Platinum Member ch1ch2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    721
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Tractor
    IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by big bubba View Post
    on a tangent, but relevant item:
    your thoughts. either yes or no. i remain neutral in this forum on this topic. just interested:

    is Kansas congressional hopeful Tyler Tannahill's giveaway of an AR 15 ( to coincide w/Kansas Republican convention) appropriate or not at this time given the florida school shooting?
    maybe just yes or no before your explanation. interested in your response
    best regards to you all...

    also please educate me. can gun raffle recipients receive a firearm w/o a background check?
    do they even have to be registered voters or have a permanent address?
    please note, just a question & not an opinion, thx

    Is it appropriate for a car dealership to sell cars after a big traffic accident?
    It is appropriate to find out why/how the shooter got into the school. Where was the security of the school?
    Hold the principle responsible.
    Veteran US Army Infantry
    Life member Vietnam Veterans of America
    Life member NRA
    Life member Second Amendment Foundation
    Member Texas State Rifle Association
    Member and Chapter President of AMAC

  9. #439
    Super Star Member ovrszd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,905
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ch2 View Post
    Is it appropriate for a car dealership to sell cars after a big traffic accident?
    It is appropriate to find out why/how the shooter got into the school. Where was the security of the school?
    Hold the principle responsible.
    Arm the Coach that died and this would have been a different outcome....
    Richard

    "Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

  10. #440
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    58
    Location
    Sherbrooke, Quebec
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1734E

    Default Re: Open carry / firearm handy

    Humm... happy to live in Canada!

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My "why I carry a firearm " rant
    By outinthetalgrass in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-30-2016, 09:10 PM
  2. Open Carry
    By pennwalk in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2018 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.