Building Dreams

/ Building Dreams #1  

LarryD

Veteran Member
Tractor
TC33D
I wanted to post this story for the TBN members as a reminder about how quickly things can go wrong.
A friend of mine (Bill) hired a local logging outfit to drop some trees on his property. We would have done it ourselves but most were near a power line and we figured a few dollars was worth the insurance.
The crew began limbing the trees prior to dropping them. The operator had a 12” chainsaw that he was using with one hand and he would use the other hand to drop them in a pile for the chippers. This guy was apparently a veteran (10yr) logger and when Bill asked about the safety of this, he was told everything was fine.
As Bill continued his conversation with the owner he saw the chainsaw bounce on the ground and looked up to see the operator lowering the bucket. When the bucket was still several feet from the ground the operator jumped out holding his forearm. Bill grabbed a towel and ran over to see the guy in obvious distress. As he removed his hand it was all Bill could do not to alarm him anymore but he said it looked like someone had filleted his forearm right down to the bone. I don’t have the final outcome but before he was rushed to the hospital, he was able to move his fingers.
I guess the point of the story is how many times have I grabbed the nearest “hammer” to get a task done or not taken time to get the appropriate safety gear because it was only going to take a second to finish the job. It’s stories like this that make me pause and think about how REALLY important it is to finish something regardless of personal safety. I can only imagine the problems I would have building my dreams minus a body part.
LarryD

/ Building Dreams #2  
Some time ago I read of a study of home workshop accidents.

The common thread was that most of those injured said thay had thought about the danger of what they were about to do, but did it anyway ( I assume because it was only going to take a second and it was not worth the trouble to take the time to do it in a safer manner).

Sounded like they would have done what injured them differently if they were doing a number of the same operations. But since it was "just one time" a short cut was used, even after thinking "this could be a mistake..."

Keeping this in mind has probably saved me grief once or twice...as when I start thinking the same way I remember the lesson these other guys learned and I take the extra time to protect myself.

Familiarity breeds contempt...this comes to mind when I think of your story... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Building Dreams #3  
Henro, I read a study, also.
Most people think that newcomers have the most accidents.
The study I read showed that most accidents were by veterans. When questioned, most admitted to not paying attention because they had done the "operation" repeatedly without problems.
Bottom line: pay attention everytime.

/ Building Dreams #4  
<font color="blue">....But since it was "just one time"......."</font>

That is all it takes.... "Just One Time".

People need to think safety, not lazy. G

/ Building Dreams #5  
Yes, the more we use a particular tool, the more careless we tend to become when using it.

I've put large, nasty-lookin "skull & crossbones" stickers in plain view on my tractor, trimmer, etc. to constantly remind me what can happen if I let myself get careless with those tools...