knew it was stupid...and did it anyways

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #11  
Dane I had a friend do the same thing. I was loading trucks at a borrow pit and DOT was giving us hell for no spill boards on the truck beds. I told my friend to becareful about his big pinky ring he wore. He was standing on the rear tandem tire and wiggling his side boards for the DOT man to show they were bolted on. when he hopped off a tarp tie down hung his ring and he landed his ring and is finger hide still in th air. I got it down and got him to the hospital. they saved his finger and the next week he was driving the truck without any type of jewelry.

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #12  
Does not take long.

I am indeed glad to see that they were able to keep the finger. It is amazing what they can do for this type of injury... sometimes.

Dane

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #13  
Back in the 1960's when I was on the ambulance squad, we had ring accidents all the time. We carried ring cutters on every rig to cut them off.

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #14  
I have caught my ring many times but not quite as bad. I am close to takin' my ring off after 20 years. I finally get my dream home with land and the better half has (so-called)better plans. I tell her she will regret it when a younger woman is livin' the life she had. I thought she would have a great come-back, but I believe it made her step back a bit. I think it may take another 20 years for me to lose the indention in my finger.

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #15  
I hope it works out. Maybe you both need to step back a bit.
Maybe seeking councel is in order.

-Mike Z.

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #16  
Junkman:

I wonder if the ring thing applies to my nipple ring.....I'd hate to tear off my nipple. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And NO, I am not going to post a picture!!!

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #17  
Daryl I saw that happen to a concrete worker tying off rebar on another job. We had a strict dress code for most of the workers on the job but this fella about 19 was working with a subcontractor and he didnt follow the rules. I had asked him to wear a shirt and remove the jewelry but he refused. I was sittin in the excavaotr watching him put in the tie wires in tieing the rebar panels together. I forgot what he went to fetch but common practice for them was to grasp the sides of the ladder and put their feet on the sides and slide down. Well he did and his jewlry got hung on a no9 tie wire midways down. I dontthink ill ever for get the look on his now pale face when he got to the ground. The rest otf the job he had a shirt and much more jewelry removed before getting started in the morning.

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #18  
Darrel.... somehow, I just can't picture you with a nipple ring.... in fact, I can't picture you with any jewelry piercings. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif However, the answer is yes.... It looked like a small can opener. It had a steel wheel with very small teeth like a circular saw blade and there was a small piece that would slip under the ring. When you turned the key on the side, the blade would saw the ring in half. Then you would take 2 pair of needle nose pliers and pull it apart. Sometimes, we would make two cuts to split it in half. One of the problems with gold rings is when they get very thin on the bottom, they will crack on the original seam and pinch the skin of the finger. Very painful and the finger would usually swell quickly. The ring cutter was the only way to get them off. I assume that they are still used in emergency rooms today. I found this picture on the web. They haven't changed much in 40 years except for the cost. Now they are a lot less. Back then, we paid about $75 for them.

Attachments

• 434982-ring cutter3.jpg
    434982-ring cutter3.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 218
   / knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #19  
Whiskey. Sorry to hear about Your Mishap. But I'm glad it wasn't worse ! After working around aircraft for a long time , I've learned to not wear jewelry of any sort . That includes watches . In fact I try not to wear anything loose around machinery . Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt . John

/ knew it was stupid...and did it anyways #20  
I too am pleased that you managed to keep your finger! For quite a number of years I have been on the care provider end of these problems as a reconstructive hand & microsurgeon. These so-called ring avulsion injuries are notoriously difficult to treat, since the forces rip out all the capillaries from their connections nourshing the skin of the finger. Microsurgery simply cannot save the vast majority of these injuries in which the "skin envelope" is completely de-gloved from the finger. It is far easier to reconstruct a finger which has been amputated guillotine style with a sharp tool or instrument.

As other posters have noted, the best way to avoid these injuries is to not wear rings while working. Another consideration might be to have a jeweler step-cut your ring on the palm side. A step-cut completely severs the continuity of the ring, but is hardly noticeable. It becomes a safety valve, in that if there is a violent force, the ring will simply spread open and come off, without shearing off the skin of the finger.

I'm also glad to see other forum members noting the dangers of long hair, and loose clothing, too. Avulsions of the entire scalp (from the eyebrows to nape of neck) are often the end result of hair getting caught in a PTO or other exposed moving machinery. For the same reasons of capillary detruction, scalps which have been microsurgically replanted have a poor survival rate. This then leads to multiple reconstructive surgeries in attempts to cover bare exposed skull bones with tissues from other body regions. The end results are never very cosmetically good, since our Creator only gave us one scalp, and non-scalp tissues simply cannot re-make a normal scalp. Prevention is the key.

Again, it is reassuring to see that TBN'ers are aware of the real dangers posed by operating machinery.