1/2" high power drill

/ 1/2" high power drill #1  

travlitt

Platinum Member
Tractor
8050C Branson, Branson 2400, 8N Ford, Round Fender John Deere 110, 3 60" ZTR mowers, a bunch of ride on mowers, 8' Brush hog , 15' Bat wing
Something I learned the hard way 2 days ago.
NEVER let a 1/2" high power drill motor get loose from you while drilling a hole. It spun in my hands and the side handle hit me on my left hand and literally ripped almost all of the webbing between my thumb and index finger completely off.
Now that hurt.

/ 1/2" high power drill #3  
Boy do I know of what you speak. I have a 1/2 inch Milwaukee Hole Hog. I use it, my portable generator and a 1" x 24" long ships auger to bore my pine tree stumps to encourage rapid rotting. I usually put about a dozen holes in each stump. I've had many time when the auger would bind up and I would be thrown around the stump before I could turn loose.

My side handle is a 18" chunk of galvy pipe and it still pulls out of my grip.

I'll bet it still hurts - - I guess you are fortunate, in that the side handle didn't come around and smash your hand along with the damage to the webbing.

I have real respect for the power of that drill.

/ 1/2" high power drill
   / 1/2" high power drill #5  
Drill model?

I have a Hitachi d13v....it has came out of my hands and wound me up many times. It's my last-resort tool. Only use it if I have no other means of doing what I want. I'd rather spend 15 minutes removing a part to put in the press or mill before using that thing on the bigger bits

/ 1/2" high power drill #7  
1" holes in my loading ramps on my utility trailer.

Use a hole saw for something like that instead of a twist drill, much easier to cut, less hassle and in my opinion it will last longer.

/ 1/2" high power drill #8  
The only saving grace with these monsters is that the rpms are low enough that the operator is only slung in one or two full circles before the cord is jerked loose and it stops. When I have had to use it, I try to be sure that there are not solid objects in the path of where I will be slung.

Wife got whacked up-side the head once while using this one's little brother drilling 5/8" holes in a steel post with a twist bit.

They demand respect.

m0071_2000x2000.jpg

/ 1/2" high power drill #9  
Use a hole saw for something like that instead of a twist drill, much easier to cut, less hassle and in my opinion it will last longer.

Agreed. I use my Bosch hole saw set my gracious wife bought for my birthday. Much safer than a 1 inch drill bit in any kind of handheld drill

I was using a 5/8 inch bit in a huge old borrowed 5/8 inch slow speed drill to drill some holes in an upright pipe set in concrete used as an antenna guy wire anchor post, and when the bit broke thru, I thought it was going to break both wrists. I hurt for days after that. I use a battery powered drill with the hole saws, and don't run the risk of injury. It didn't take me long to "learn my lesson"

/ 1/2" high power drill #10  
The only saving grace with these monsters is that the rpms are low enough that the operator is only slung in one or two full circles before the cord is jerked loose and it stops. When I have had to use it, I try to be sure that there are not solid objects in the path of where I will be slung.

Wife got whacked up-side the head once while using this one's little brother drilling 5/8" holes in a steel post with a twist bit.

They demand respect.

View attachment 522282

Ok, on the cord pulling out as your safety mechanism, but one can also set the clutch on his battery powered drill and use a hole saw and drill the holes without risking death and destruction. :D