Is lack of training killing tractor operators?

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #11  
Well, you've taken the first step toward compact tractor safety--you're logged on to this website where you'll find a ton of information on safety in that forum. Just keep asking questions and you'll get a free course on tractor safety from the TBN members.

Treat your tractor like you treat your planes--keep them serviced and respect their power capability. Pilots are taught situational awareness. The same holds true for tractors, even for the smallest size model.

The biggest safety issues are getting tangled with rotating equipment (pto, mower blades), projectiles launched by rotating equipment (mowers, snowblowers, etc), rollovers (slopes, ditches, dropping front wheels into potholes and wheel ruts), tipovers (bad FEL practices) and flipovers (pulling incorrectly with the 3 point hitch, with the drawbar and with custom lashups that are seen too often by people who should know better).

Good luck and be careful out there!!

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #12  
I agree with what's been said.

In my opinion, the last thing the tractor world needs is mandatory training before purchase. In my World tractor owners are generally independent persons that add the purchase of the tractor to expand that independence and productivity. Those owners don't consider their tractor a toy and generally respect it's abilities and limitations.

With that said, I'd guess 95% of the tractor owners on TBN don't use them for monetary productivity or necessity.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #13  
I did not do any research...but I would wager that way more people are injured using or being around lawn mowers than tractors...

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #14  
I did not do any research...but I would wager that way more people are injured using or being around lawn mowers than tractors...

Probably so. Severity might need to be equated in that research. My friend's farming operation will have 25-30 men running tractors, combines, semi trucks, etc. today. One of them will get injured to some degree. Likely not to the degree of requiring a Doctor's care. Again, that depends on the operator's intended useage.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #15  
there is something that comes with every new tractor it's called a MANUAL.
Any one that complains that he wasn't told, also didn't read his manual, if Darwin intercedes because of stupidity
so be it, anyone who just jumps on a piece of equipment with no knowledge of it and does not educate themselves deserves what happens.
It is not the salesman, the dealer, the manufactures job to hold there hand and baby sit them.
You are responsible for your action or inaction and the results, no one else.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #16  
there is something that comes with every new tractor it's called a MANUAL.
Any one that complains that he wasn't told, also didn't read his manual, if Darwin intercedes because of stupidity
so be it, anyone who just jumps on a piece of equipment with no knowledge of it and does not educate themselves deserves what happens.
It is not the salesman, the dealer, the manufactures job to hold there hand and baby sit them.
You are responsible for your action or inaction and the results, no one else.

Preach it brother ............I agree but sadly "Darwin" does not get involved as often as he should.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #17  
Dealers provide a little training for liability, and it brings back customers - re good experience - just like the car dealer offering to assist with setting up your phone on your new car.
Otherwise- people don't care - owner's problem.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #18  
I'm just really glad that tractors are really affordable.
Aircraft is not. General aviation is priced out of the question for most people.
If that was the case with tractors, we would all starve.
And do a google search for "general aviation fatalities".
Not a pretty picture.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #19  
Lawyers are the reason there are so many warning stickers plastered all over power equipment and machines...

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #20  
Lawyers are the reason there are so many warning stickers plastered all over power equipment and machines...

Then add in the accountants that drive build cost and profit, resulting in things like objectionable and intrusive safety shields like those that prevent easily connecting a PTO shaft to the back of a tractor, there has to be a better way to 'flip' one out of the way temporarily rather than being fixed and being removed by a pzzz'd off operator. How many of you have removed that piece of sheet metal and it's sitting in the back corner of your shop?