Hot Cars and kids.

/ Hot Cars and kids. #21  
Seems like a lot of parents giving their kids all of the things they wish they had when they were kids. I guess they haven't realized yet what a good thing their parents did by not giving them everything.

When I was a kid my parents got a snowmobile for the family. It was a 340 which was pretty slow when compared to all the others that were available. I couldn't understand at the time why we didn't get the "HOT" sled. Now that I'm a parent.....I do. It's a shame that sometimes it takes a funeral to realize these things.

Jeff

/ Hot Cars and kids. #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What is the best first car for the beginning driver who is your heart and soul's joy??? )</font>

I have no idea what's best, but when our daughters got their drivers licenses at the age of 16 (3 years apart), I had a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup to pull my boat and occasionally haul a little firewood, so that's what they got. I hoped they wouldn't run over anyone else, and figured it was about as safe as anything if they got run over. The truck was 5 years old when the older girl started driving it, then after she had it for 3 years, I got her a 6 year old Chevy Malibu, and the younger girl drove the old truck for her first year of driving.

/ Hot Cars and kids. #23  
My daughter did not appreciate it, but I found a '79 red Dodge pickup, with slant six and 3 on the tree. It was bigger and uglier than what she thought was cool. I figured it was big enough that she was probably safer than in a compact car or truck. It also didn't have room for a lot of company while she was driving.

/ Hot Cars and kids. #24  
When my daughter turned 16 in 1985, I gave her a '72 Datsun station wagon. It was almost as old as her. It had been owned by a retired gentleman down the street, and when he passed away, his wife sold it to me, cheap. It only had about 16K miles, and the paint and interior was like new. No one had ever sat in the back seat.

At her party, everyone disappeared when she visited the bathroom. She found them all outside, standing around the car. At first, she was hurt -- a station wagon? It just wasn't cool. But, all her friends started calling it "Datsoon", and she was the most popular kid in town after band practice -- she could haul them home with their instruments in the back. She was also proud that she passed her license test in a stick shift station wagon with manual steering, when most of her friends could only drive automatics.

When my son turned 16, he got his Mother's '83 Toyota Starlet. However, I added Tokico gas shocks, bought an extra set of wheels mounted with Yokohama 008 autocross tires, and we went racing. Autocross, called Solo II in the Sports Car Club of America, is a skill contest in which one car at a time travels a miniature road course made up of orange cones, as fast as possible against the clock. The courses are set up on very large parking lots or airport runways. The courses are tight and tricky, and it takes a lot of skill to do it right. He was good -- he won our regional championship in his rookie year. After that, he had no problem with the fact that it was much slower on the street than his friend's cars; he was a bona fide race driver with a championship, and he could care less what they thought. He also had no need to race on the street. In a couple of years, he go so good that I bought him an '85 Toyota MR2, in which he won a couple of more championships, and which he still has, today. It needs a bit of freshening, and will be one of the first projects when my barn is built.

/ Hot Cars and kids. #25  
Don,
**** good idea to have my son and daughter do a real "road race." It is kind of like karate or boxing, if you know you can do it better than your opponent, there is no need to try to fight, just walk away.

Plus, sounds like a fun thing to do on weekends!!!

/ Hot Cars and kids. #26  
Here's a link: SCCA Solo II.

Also, at the top of the page, you will find a button for "Find a Region Near You"; most of the regions have good websites which will include their local schedules, and at the least will have contact information. You do not have to join SCCA to run Solo II, but there is usually a lower entry fee and other advantages for joining the club.

/ Hot Cars and kids. #27  
I find it very intresting that down here in Texas, the women are the worst about leaving their car unattended, unlocked, and running during the hot summer months......
THE MEN however, do the same thing during the winter.
-------------------HUMMMMMMMMMMMM----------------------
I guess if I was a car thieff, I could get some nice cars during the summer, and some nice pickups during the winter..
Virgil

/ Hot Cars and kids. #28  
Yeah, I agree with you. I just heard a week or so ago about a woman who on another sour note took her 9-month old and held her by her feet and dropped her on her head (on the sidewalk). The neighbors couldn't get there fast enough. When they did, they held her 'til the cops arrived. Glad I wasn't there. I just found another use for that backhoe I didn't buy!

/ Hot Cars and kids.
Everytime I read or hear about some terrible act involving kids it tears my heart. My two are my life. The only thing I regret is not having them sooner in my life. My wife and I dated for 4 years while in college and married for 6 more before our first was born. Grace and Ben.....they are so much fun. Everyday is a blessing.

Attachments

• 442629-97.jpg
    442629-97.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 89