Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210

Default Re: Neighbor Tractor Accident

True. And all of us suffer from PTSD to some degree. The lesser your personal degree of severity, the easier your life has been.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Kubota B2320 Kubota ZD 331 Kubota L3301 Kubota 1140 RTV Kubota MX5100 Kubota KX 71

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    No therapy will remove memories. No therapy will make them tolerable. These solutions are inside the person. This is how we got the term PTSD. It defines those that cannot control the irreversible memories. I use the "roll top desk" method. My life is stored in a roll top desk. I can open the desk and select whichever small drawer that I want. My hard times are stored in those drawers. I can open the drawer and review the contents until it becomes disturbing, then I close the drawer, to be reviewed at a later time when I can control it. The contents of these drawers never go away. They are simply properly stored and secured. Each drawer is labeled so there's no surprise. That's a key element. No surprise. My desk has many drawers. They contribute to who I am rather than take away from that person.
    Very insightful... thanks.
    They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. Kahlil Gibran

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

No therapy will remove memories. No therapy will make them tolerable. These solutions are inside the person. This is how we got the term PTSD. It defines those that cannot control the irreversible memories. I use the "roll top desk" method. My life is stored in a roll top desk. I can open the desk and select whichever small drawer that I want. My hard times are stored in those drawers. I can open the drawer and review the contents until it becomes disturbing, then I close the drawer, to be reviewed at a later time when I can control it. The contents of these drawers never go away. They are simply properly stored and secured. Each drawer is labeled so there's no surprise. That's a key element. No surprise. My desk has many drawers. They contribute to who I am rather than take away from that person.
    Great analogy.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    Kubota M7-171, Kubota M110GX, IH 4386, IH1486, Case 301.8, Kubota L6060, plus many others

My father, 104 next month , lost most of his vision to glaucoma. Now images he swears are real come from the folds of his brain. For a few months it was horses running through the Care Center dining room. There have been numerous other instances but the last one I remember was Christmas Eve. My daughter and I brought him some Norwegian special food (he is a stubborn German) and all dinner he kept asking us to check the lady lying on the floor beside a nearby table. He hoped it wasn't one of his daughters. Nobody there. His hearing has gone the same way. Ear protection? I don't need no ear protection. Now He is hearing things from the past. Is it good or bad to relive a 104 year lifetime? I find its bad because he seems to remember more bad things. However their barn burned in 1933. Dad had run their tractor, a Far all Regular on steel, out of fuel by the barn and let it go until morning. A tractor on large steel cleats is nearly impossible to push so he and a neighbor cranked it away. He still remembers that perfectly and the name of the neighbor who helped. My brother-in-law had a rough time in Viet Nam including hand fighting. The first time they stayed with us his wife told us if we hear screaming in the night its nothing, just Bill trying to kill her thinking Viet Song soldiers made it into their camp. She knows how to wake him before he kills her.
    Kubota M7-171, L6060, RTV 900XT, GR2120

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2370

I do a little pro bono work with Vietnam Vets with PTSD and some of the hard cases can be a bit hostile and yell at me asking how I think I would know what it was like.
    I pull my jacket back and show my ribbon bar on my shirt and yell back at them 'because I was there too', generally gets me on a good footing with them when they realise I do know what they are going through and we can get to work.
    Sounds rough but it works as they hate text book experts, generally quite a friendly session after that.
    I use the roll top desk with some but doesn't work for everyone, tell some to buy a dog but make sure it is a rotweiler and when you feel angry you can kick it but be aware that it will bite back and you will be worse off, gives them something to think about and approach the problem rationally when you imagine a leg full of teeth.
    No two are the same of course.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I do a little pro bono work with Vietnam Vets with PTSD and some of the hard cases can be a bit hostile and yell at me asking how I think I would know what it was like.
    I pull my jacket back and show my ribbon bar on my shirt and yell back at them 'because I was there too', generally gets me on a good footing with them when they realise I do know what they are going through and we can get to work.
    Sounds rough but it works as they hate text book experts, generally quite a friendly session after that.
    I use the roll top desk with some but doesn't work for everyone, tell some to buy a dog but make sure it is a rotweiler and when you feel angry you can kick it but be aware that it will bite back and you will be worse off, gives them something to think about and approach the problem rationally when you imagine a leg full of teeth.
    No two are the same of course.
    Thank you for your service.

I saw an Aussie unit once. Kinda freaked me out. Up to that point I had thought we were doing it by ourselves. Sorry for that.
    Richard

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD: 2520 & x758

Good story. I plan ahead and try to avoid being trapped by traffic. In your situation you sometimes find yourself in the middle of it before any prevention action can be taken.

I'm sure you've noticed this also, but, notice how cars tend to run in packs??? Something about human nature triggers that I guess......

I'm 3 miles East of the Eagleville exit.
    Definitely human nature to do things like that. I've noticed in my 30+ years of driving (with tons of metro freeways and lots of long distance interstates) that same phenomenon. Many times I've followed someone who is cruising along in the left lane and doing like 5 over the posted when nobody is around them. But they come to another car or truck in the right lane and they end up slowed down and speed matching for quite a while. If/when they get past they rocket back up to the original speed until they get to another car. I don't understand the reason but it happens.

The left lane nazis (or speed-matchers as I call them) that drive alongside another vehicle for miles while traffic stacks up are indeed some of the worst people on earth. Regardless of whether their reasoning is selfish, pseudo-policing, or just ignorance, I wish them all a fiery and horrible demise. My philosophy for driving has always been to be courteous to others and not impede them, regardless of whether they are driving faster or slower than me. I'll stay out of their way if they stay out of mine. But my courteous nature ends when they demonstrate they aren't worthy of it.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:___________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
    Definitely human nature to do things like that. I've noticed in my 30+ years of driving (with tons of metro freeways and lots of long distance interstates) that same phenomenon. Many times I've followed someone who is cruising along in the left lane and doing like 5 over the posted when nobody is around them. But they come to another car or truck in the right lane and they end up slowed down and speed matching for quite a while. If/when they get past they rocket back up to the original speed until they get to another car. I don't understand the reason but it happens.

The left lane nazis (or speed-matchers as I call them) that drive alongside another vehicle for miles while traffic stacks up are indeed some of the worst people on earth. Regardless of whether their reasoning is selfish, pseudo-policing, or just ignorance, I wish them all a fiery and horrible demise. My philosophy for driving has always been to be courteous to others and not impede them, regardless of whether they are driving faster or slower than me. I'll stay out of their way if they stay out of mine. But my courteous nature ends when they demonstrate they aren't worthy of it.

Rob
    Well stated. I totally agree.

I would add, if those people don't know they are doing that then they should not be driving!!!!
    Richard

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3301

Well stated. I totally agree.

I would add, if those people don't know they are doing that then they should not be driving!!!!
    If you ride with them an oft heard comment is "I'm doing the speed limit, they don't need to pass"... completely disregarding another law which states "Keep right except to pass." One law we have here which would be hard to enforce, but good to be on the books; Except when passing on the right is permitted, the operator of passed vehicle: B. May not increase speed until completely overtaken by the passing vehicle"

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

I like Indiana's law. You have to move out of the left lane for traffic that is moving faster than you... no matter what speed you're driving. So even if you're going 15 over the speed limit, if someone comes up behind you, you have to move to the right. Only exceptions are if you're soon going to be turning left, or inclimate weather, as in, the right lane is flooded or not cleared of snow.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast