Line of ROPless tractors!

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #31  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it was a new "real" tractor then it could not be sold without a ROPS. At least that is my take after pondering on this subject for a couple of years )</font>

So then by definition.. if it is a new product.. to be a tractor it must hape rops? ( rops then being the definition of a tractor)

Soundguy

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #32  
"So then by definition.. if it is a new product.. to be a tractor it must hape rops? ( rops then being the definition of a tractor)"

I would think so, I believe the law requires ROPS on all NEW tractors sold to consumers. No Rops on a NEW tractor and it is not a real tractor by law.

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #33  
Not only the PT cruiser, but virtually all SUV's, minivans, etc. are "trucks". Using this classification exempts them from federal "automobile" safety requirements, although the mfg's add most of the safety stuff voluntarily (because of marketing pressure.) These vehicles are not figured into the minimum corporate MPG averages the government requires, either. The government just looks the other way.

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #34  
I just read that the Subaru Outback wagon was just changed from a "station wagon" to a "truck" for the new model year. I don't know WHY they changed it, but you would think it was to duck automobile rules.
Mark

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #35  
SnowRidge, you are probably right... no OSHA rules for homeowners.

I wish we could find some literature as to when and where the government requires ROPs on a new unit for sale.

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #36  
<font color="red"> (I wish we could find some literature as to when and where the government requires ROPs on a new unit for sale.) </font>

Moss, the information you want will be found in the CFRs--somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good hunting. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, what the heck, I've done it for you. Go here. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #37  
But that only pertains to an employers obligation to protect his employees

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #38  
A little cearer than mud now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks. Interesting exceptions for vinyards and greenhouses. Still wonder if there are any ROPs requirements for non-agricultural, IE... homeowner uses.

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #39  
<font color="red"> (But that only pertains to an employers obligation to protect his employees) </font>

Sure it does, and the tractor manufacturers respond by building units that can meet those regulations. If they didn't, they couldn't sell them to any farm with one or more employees. They would also face increased liability risks if they sold non-ROPS units to individual farmers.

Simple solution--build them all to meet OSHA's agricultural standards. I believe there is also an OHSA standard for tractors used in commercial operations too. That's another market that demands a ROPS. As a benefit, we all get them.

/ Line of ROPless tractors! #40  
<font color="red"> (Still wonder if there are any ROPs requirements for non-agricultural, IE... homeowner uses.) </font>

Non-ag -- yes, for a number of industries that use tractors.

Homeowners -- not as far as I can find. A CFR query on "rops" AND "consumer product" does not provide any hits. Neither does "tractor" AND "consumer product," indicating the CPSC does not have any regulations covering tractors--or anything else that might be equipped with a ROPS.