Tractor hit by SUV

/ Tractor hit by SUV #21  
Maybe JD owners could paint their wheels yellow for better visibility.

:)

Bruce

/ Tractor hit by SUV #22  
I don't have snow to blow but do have to more outside my fence (about 3 mower width) and around the mailbox. It may not be a car pass for hours but as soon as I go out to mow, I will have several cars come by. At least they slow down a bit and except for the loop around the mailbox, I don't have to get on the road but do crowd the shoulder a bit.

It seems most of the traffic is moms taking their kids to school or going to pick them up. During the rest of the time, the majority of traffic is trailer trucks delivering chicken feed to the chicken house a few miles down he road or farmers/lawn keepers travelling with their trailers.

What is wrong today with kids riding the school bus? My daughter takes her kids to school everyday also. The only time I ever got taken to school was if for some reason I missed the bus. At one time, I had to walk 1/2 mile to catch the bus but from about 5th grade he came right to my door so it was hard to miss the bus then.

/ Tractor hit by SUV #23  
I put out an orange cone, up-traffic on my side of the road. Just an earlier warning to them of Murphy's Law ahead. So far, I have not forgotten to retrieve it afterwards.

/ Tractor hit by SUV #24  
jmc- That's a good idea. I am too old, fat, and lazy to walk that far. I hate walking along the road here. Around here those cones and roadside mailboxes become vehicular magnets. I do not know how and/or why.

/ Tractor hit by SUV #25  
Maybe snow removal equipment should be painted white, with no lights. :)

Target fixation - Wikipedia

Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object. It is associated with scenarios in which the observer is in control of a high-speed vehicle or other mode of transportation, such as race-car drivers and motorcyclists. In such cases, the observer may fixate so intently on the target that they steer in the direction of their gaze, which is often the ultimate cause of a collision.

Another:
Target Fixation – It’s Not Just a Motorcycle Problem

Bruce

/ Tractor hit by SUV #27  
In such cases, the observer may fixate so intently on the target that they steer in the direction of their gaze, which is often the ultimate cause of a collision.

I wonder how many female bicyclists get hit that way...;)

/ Tractor hit by SUV #28  
In such cases, the observer may fixate so intently on the target that they steer in the direction of their gaze, which is often the ultimate cause of a collision.

Hey two hands on the wheel ,eyes on the road:D

/ Tractor hit by SUV #29  

My wife drives like that. I can be passing her going the other way, waving my hand and flashing my lights yet she looks straight ahead and never sees me. Fortunately she's only been in one minor accident in 50 years that wasn't her fault. I'm constantly scanning with my eyes watching out for the other guy who isn't paying attention.

/ Tractor hit by SUV #30  
Maybe snow removal equipment should be painted white, with no lights. :)

Target fixation - Wikipedia

Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object... <snip>

Bruce

Motorcycling 101 for sure, but applicable with tractors. Drivers will fixate on the hazard and run right into it. All of the flashing lights in the world won’t help.
I have always operated with the presumption that unless I am driving my tractor fully in the travel lane, then it is up to me to yield and avoid a collision.