Driverless Cars

/ Driverless Cars
Big Equipment, Powerful Diesels, What Could Go Wrong..... :cool:

....... Go Wrong.........

Wide open fields.... not much to hit. Gated community, relatively low speed and complexity. Not bad places to start.

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars
I feel the current Tesla model is fatally flawed. The machine does all the driving -- except for the most challenging parts, where a human needs to be able to take over? Humans aren't built that way. The machine needs to be all or nothing.

People seem to divide into mostly 2 camps. One group refuses to blindly trust technology, the other (probably larger) group is in a hurry to hand over control - the latter group is disinterested in understanding the nuances of what a particular system's limits are. <<<< That lack of understanding is where many problems may come from.....

Just thought of an old incident that happened to a friend of mine, many years ago. He was driving the 401 here, back when traffic was much lighter, late at night. He was west of Toronto, driving through farmland. Car was a 75 full sized Chev - headlight dimmer switch on the floor. After a few winters up here (salt on boots), those floor switches would barely work, and tended to stick a lot - so he was driving 70mph on Low Beams. Divided highway, no traffic, clear night...... no big deal, UNTIL a vertical wall appeared suddenly in front of the car !

Cranks the wheel, just about lost the car, went across both lanes and both shoulders till he finally pulled off to the right quite a ways up. Lost a couple of hub caps - walked back up the shoulder, not really expecting to find the hubcaps, but mostly wanted to see what the _______ it was he just about plowed into......

...... Turns out, it was just a big cardboard shipping box. It was lying totally flat in the lane and just before his lousy 1975 non-halogen sealed-beam Lo Beams lit it up, a gust of wind raised it up so it was vertical.

I wonder how AI would have handled that one...... ?

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #13  
Lol!

That's something you laugh about after the fact. The auto system probably would have been fine with something like that, as they react, hopefully, much faster and precisely.

/ Driverless Cars #14  
What happens with driverless cars on one lane county roads (plenty of them E and S of here) when one meets another car then you have to back up some or hunt for a wide place to pull over?

/ Driverless Cars
   / Driverless Cars
What happens with driverless cars on one lane county roads (plenty of them E and S of here) when one meets another car then you have to back up some or hunt for a wide place to pull over?

Complex situations like that - control probably gets handed back to the human. OK today..... might get interesting 20 or so years from now.....

Things don't have to be that complex sometimes, to have a failure.....

Volvo fail - Self driving car crashes into peoples - YouTube

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #17  
I just don't think it's going to happen to the point they don't have an option for human control. My example of one lane country roads is just one of many. What about pulling into a private garage, parking garage, etc, where there is no GPS or other signals? What about driving through a field to feed cattle? How about boat ramp traffic?

/ Driverless Cars
I just don't think it's going to happen to the point they don't have an option for human control. My example of one lane country roads is just one of many. What about pulling into a private garage, parking garage, etc, where there is no GPS or other signals? What about driving through a field to feed cattle? How about boat ramp traffic?

With you there, and it's not my preference.

Things do change though. Many young (and even older) people living in high density urban centres don't bother owning a car today. Some don't have licenses, and many just rent a car when needed.

^ Point there.... many folks today (esp. urban) aren't that familiar with vehicle operation in varied environments.

City folks today can have a problem turning a car around on a narrow country lane. It won't get better as new generations grow up letting the vehicle make most/all of the decisions.....

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #20  
I just wonder if we will ever see the immense cost of this technology become cost effective. Forget about whether or not it will become accepted - it may become an accepted mode of transportation for urban america. Look at the condition of our transportation system - we are hesitant to expend the funds to maintain what we already have. What is going to happen to make us spend funds for a new system that will require mega funding and have no positive impact on our currently deteriorating system.