Local man struck by lightning

/ Local man struck by lightning #11  
High voltage that jumps a spark gap doesn;t mind rubber either.

Heck.. loot at carbon impregnated latex sheathing around fiberglass/carbon spark plug resistor wires wires...

Like the others said.. miles of air.. and an inch of rubber is just an inconvenience

Soundguy

/ Local man struck by lightning #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't count on being safe in a tractor even with a cab. You are toughing too much of the metal to be safe )</font>

I would imagine as long as you are not a part of the conduction path.. you are -somewhat- safe... high voltage makes lotsa detours.

Look at airplanes.. they get hit all the time..

Another way to look at it. You can touch a live wire, and if not grounded ( no path to ground whatsoever ) .. you won't get shocked...

Soundguy

/ Local man struck by lightning #13  
Now rubber is far better than air....Don't line workers were rubber gloves?
But lightning kind of makes it's own rules and does some real funky things

/ Local man struck by lightning #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now rubber is far better than air....Don't line workers were rubber gloves?
)</font>

I would imagine they wear rubber gloves because 'air' gloves don't seem to stay on well... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Soundguy

/ Local man struck by lightning #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( All bets are off in convertibles and Corvettes.)</font>

Boy; that's not comforting /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. G

/ Local man struck by lightning #16  
Linemen and electricians working on touchy stuff wear heavy leather gloves with a rubber liner. Both are subject to inspection schedulesand have a specified replacement time.

Egon

/ Local man struck by lightning #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would imagine they wear rubber gloves because 'air' gloves don't seem to stay on well... )</font>

ok lets put it this way. A 220 power cord has maybe 1/8" rubber or plastic and you can pick it up with your hand with your foot in water. Now if air is so good of an insulator would you put your finger 1/8" from a raw 220 wire what about 440?. I am not saying they the tire on a car is what saves you just saying air in not the best insulator that is all.

/ Local man struck by lightning #18  
It depends on the dielectric qualities of the insulation rubber. However, tires are not made from that type of materials as insulating the car from the ground is not what they are designed to do, in a linemans glove it is, but you will not get 60,000 miles on one of his gloves.

Dane

/ Local man struck by lightning #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not saying they the tire on a car is what saves you just saying air in not the best insulator that is all.
)</font>

Many cross country, high voltage electric lines on the poles are bare wire with the air between them being the insulator.

TBAR

/ Local man struck by lightning #20  
yea but look how far apart those lines have to be.