Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar YT347

Default Active Hearing protection with Bluetooth

I am looking for a good active hearing protection with Bluetooth designed for a continuous noise environment. I have tried a few without BT. Corded ones don't co-exist with tractor work. Passive noise reduction is too dangerous for me - i am legally blind and must hear ambient sounds (...screams). Given the option - I'd accept lower noise reduction to allow greater ambient awareness.

I like hearing music, podcasts, and notifications. I don't care about speaking into a phone with the machine running. I can shut it off. I don't really want an FM radio as none have actually worked and just add bulk - especially the rubber duck antenna.

I'd rather it cost less - but needs to hold up well. There are lots of junk options. But, I have had other operators lose expensive Peltor Alerts and Elvex Aware sets while mowing. As in, they were shredded.

If needed, I could add bluetooth listening to a set if it has an audio input. I will probably make a tether setup to keep them from flying off under the mower. I would consider either over-ear muffs or good in-ears.

Any ideas what would work? Thanks!
    Mike

Tractor
    Yanmar YT347

Default Re: Active Hearing protection with Bluetooth

There are some similar products which are close; I don't think that they will be satisfactory.

Impulse ANR sets designed for shooting.
    "Bose" ANR which cuts out ALL outside noise, not just harmful racket.
    Mike

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD: 2520 & x758

I bought a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35 active noise cancellation headphones last year. Used them for mowing my 7 acres of lawn all summer. Way better than my previous method of standard passive muffs with earbuds. Was able to listen to music happily and the roar of my x758 diesel engine and 60" deck was tamed well. Certainly not 'silenced', but well toned down. Not a cheap solution but now that I have these headphones they get used for a bunch of other things too so they have been a great investment.

In my quest for this solution I actually tried out three models: the QC 35 bluetooth ones, Bose QC 25 corded, and Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 bluetooth. The QC 25 was pretty good but I realized I wanted a cordless set so they were ruled out. The Plantronics were almost on par with the QC 35 but didn't do as good of job cancelling the tractor noise. A year ago they were a lot closer in price to the Bose so I decided to go with the Bose. Today they are much cheaper ($139) so if I was doing the compare now they might win out.

As for losing them, I've never had them come off, even when mowing under one of the trees and a branch catches them. Not a major worry for me, I guess.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:___________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2601 FEL

Is that possible with ANR? I thought they were based on frequencies. To block machine noise and not voices I don't know if they can do that.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD: 2520 & x758

Quote Originally Posted by prichard View Post
    Is that possible with ANR? I thought they were based on frequencies. To block machine noise and not voices I don't know if they can do that.
    Noise cancelling headphones most effectively attenuate 'continuous' noises. Things like engines, fans, etc. They do less well with random noise like a dropped item, a clap, a voice, etc. You can hear someone talking to you with them on, it is just quieter than normal. But they can tune out a computer fan, airplane noise, etc. pretty well. And make no mistake, they don't eliminate outside noise, they just reduce it. But it is effective at something like reducing engine/mower noise to the level you can listen to music without having it cranked.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:___________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

Tractor
    Yanmar YT347

I have had Peltor Alerts. The ANR Suppresses only the noises which are above a certain threshhold. While wearing them, you still hear the tractor (actually better than without) but it is much softer. But, you also hear ambient noises. Birds tweeting, a dog bark, my wife saying 'dinner is ready'.

The Bose system will block the engine; I don't think I'd get the other sounds and can't allow myself to be that isolated. But, I may try that.

What I want is the Alerts but with bluetooth capability.
    Last edited by rockyridgefarm; 02-13-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Mike

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3560

I have the Bose QC 30 Bluetooth noise cancelling ear buds and like em a lot.

Tractor
    Yanmar YT347

Quote Originally Posted by Redlands Okie View Post
    I have the Bose QC 30 Bluetooth noise cancelling ear buds and like em a lot.
    I assume they do a great job with blocking the equip,emt noise and music sounds great; can you hear normal conversation with the tractor running?
    Mike

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2601 FEL

Interesting, I'm not sure if any of this has helped the OP, but y'all have helped me. Thanks

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900

I have the Bose 35... could not bring myself to use them on my tractor at $300 a throw. I have lost one set of headphones (got off the tractor, must have put them down) I have also run over a pair (tree branch tugged them off, didn't hit the brake in time) Both of those headsets where just muffs. Also, I work in the rain a lot.

I do have a Ryobi ANR. Its pretty cool. Blocks out a lot of noise but the built in microphone pics up conversations. THey are NOT bluetooth.

As noted, I just bought a pair of 3M Bluetooth Worktunes. I am VERY impressed by these. They are not active noise reduciton but they feel quieter and the are much more comfortable than my other worktunes. The version I have doesn not have a radio (we do not get radio in my hood).

3M™ WorkTunes™ Wireless Hearing Protector with Bluetooth(R) Technology | 3M United States

Also, at under $50 if I wreck them I won't be happy but I won't chuck myself down a ravine either.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast