Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
On a dark and misty morning...

I stopped just inside the gate after dropping a round bale. Tractor safely in park, I hopped off and closed the gate securely. Spinning around I got a sudden jolt in my nose and found myself on the ground looking at the sky. Very thankful that I still have my right eye (even as bad as it is)

I really think the best plan is a cover for the tip that I can slide on after removing the bale. I keep the tip bright yellow and try to set it at the safest height. My property is crazy hills, and height or color wouldn't have mattered in this instance.

I have looked and don't see a purpose made cover. I am thinking of getting a horse 'Jolly Ball'. Cut a hole to fit then foam fill it. Chain it to the spear's frame.

Any other ideas?

btw, nose is healing nicely. My wife wasn't all in on a piercing, and definitely thinks I was best to forego the 4000 pound jewelry.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #2  
I have a 3 spear front mount I tip it all the way down and carry it low when empty always afraid of the horses running into it. Glad you did not get hurt to bad. jolly ball sounds like a good idea

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #3  
I have the same problem of running into things. It's worse in winter when I wear a baseball cap. The best solution is to just make sure you don't have things to run into. IE. bale spear high or low but not at head height. Same with everything else you do. On stuff I can't move I have a roll of survey tape. I tie it on with a long end hanging down. As I'm usually looking down it's enough to catch my attention. I've also used a jacket or coveralls hung over head height objects.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #4  
I've had the fear of doing that, so I'm always very careful of where my spears are pointing and how high in the air they are. Usually I curl them so they are pointing up fairly high so nothing can have an accident.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?
the problem with my terrain is that what was just safe is now right at me. But, I am going to really explore all angles (literally). It would be ideal to be able to set it safely from the seat.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #6  
Point them down as far as possible and lower the FEL arms until the points penetrate the soil. Acts as a backup mechanical brake as well.

Mine is rear mounted, btw

C3855665-0FC9-4233-AB32-E87D849153A6.jpeg

I reconfigured the 3-point geometry. Lowered and shortened the top link. Filed the point a bit blunt. Fresh coat of jd yellow and I think it might work.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #10