PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
PT425 ROPS Spares Fool\'s Life

NOTE: This is posted in the PT Forum, but thought it might also be of interest here in Safety. Hope duplication is OK.

Over the weekend, my wife and I were at our new property in the foothills north of Colorado Springs.

Most of the property is a 2.5:1 or so slope, and we have a long driveway that was cut in parallel to the slope by a professional using a huge excavator.

I'm in the process of cutting in a PT425 width zig-zag path down and along some slopes for access to remove dead trees, and to be able to use a part of the property that is 1,000 long, but only about 225 feet wide.

While backing my PT 425 down one of these roads I cut, I got near the downhill edge, which is only about 18" of fill (same as uphill side cut), and stopped, realizing I was too close.

Without thinking, I turn uphill, attempted to move ahead, not realizing that I had moved the center of gravity downhill.

It was interesting to watch the scenery do a three second counter-clockwise rotation until feeling a moderate jolt as the ROPS hit the pine needles. Being usually cool-headed in a crisis, I actually shut off the ignition while tipping & wondered if my wife knew where the cellphone was.

So--there I was, securely belted in the PT (having kept my hands in to avoid losing one!) lying on its side with the canopy on the DOWNHILL side of a 2:1 slope and the wheels at the base of the fill slope of my road.

My wife was a bit excited about this, but I was totally unscathed (physically) and only got a little dirty when I release the seatbelt at this ridiculous angle.

Anyway, I feel that I have been blessed to have been spared to be able to write about this.

The really amazing thing is that with a come-along and logging chains, it took less than an hour (including thinking time, which should have been done FIRST to prevent this) to put the PT back on its wheels, check the oil & pull it up the small berm, start it, and drive it away. There was a little oil smoke for 30 seconds as upside down IC engines tend to temporarily get a bit more oil than is really needed under the valve covers.

There was essentially NO damage to the tractor. The trim on the ROPS was pulled off a bit; pushing it back on was the only repair needed that I know of. I put a few scratches on the ROPS upright where the chain was attached. The ROPS was not deformed at all. I'll be checking everything out Tuesday when I'm next up there, and less stressed & more rational.

The engine cover was partly open, since there are no latches, but it was undamaged as the only points of contact with the ground were the tires and the side of the ROPS.

It was remarkably easy to do all this (the recovery, not the rollover!).

I'm very thankful for the extremely strong construction of the PT. Had I bought the Jinma and lived through this experience, I'm sure that I'd be shopping for parts. Not knocking the Jinma, but all steel plate construction is really sturdy!

Instead, I only have to operate a dirty, oiler tractor until I have a way to clean it up a bit at this remote site.

Probably lost about two quarts of hydraulic oil through the vented cap.

Sorry this is so long, but I would like to caution everyone about the obvious hazard of less than 5 seconds of inattention.

I would have pictures, but the camera was at home, and I thought it best to not ask my wife to run home to get it under the circumstances. Even though it's only a 1.5 hour round trip

She is considering hiring my older retired brother to keep an eye on me while I'm up there alone!

Mark H.

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #2  
Re: PT425 ROPS Spares Fool\'s Life

Mark
Thank you for the story. Be happy you have the PT and be happy that it all turned out so well. The reality is that any traditional tractor is going to be a lot less stable than that PT of yours and I personally think the ROPS arrangement of the PT425 is way better than that ROPS that is on any of my tractors.

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My wife was a bit excited about this )</font>

And you weren't? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sounds like plenty of excitement for one day to me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Glad you kept your cool and kept your arms and legs tucked in and safe.

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #4  

Glad it turned out alright. Be sure to inspect the ROPS and all it's attaching hardware for any stressed areas or hardware.

Would anyone think it might be smart to repalce the ROPS hardware "just in case" or would that not be an issue?

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #5  

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad you were not injured in any way. Your post should be required reading for those new tractor owners who shun seatbelts and/or can't be bothered putting up a folding ROPS if their tractor has one. Sounds also like you thought about what you would do if your machine ever did roll over....and because of that you did everything right to reduce your chance of injury.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #6  

Hi
Glad to hear you were not hurt. 2.5 : 1 would be about how many degrees? we have a lot of slope to some of out property maybe 15-20 degrees in some places and I have noticed the ford 1920 with the loader and backhoe is not as stable as my case 470. I have about decided that the compact or utility tractors are only good for use on level ground and mowing grass. could you take some pic's of the place you turned the tractor over?

Charlie.

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life

You wrote:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Glad to hear you were not hurt. 2.5 : 1 would be about how many degrees? we have a lot of slope to some of out property maybe 15-20 degrees in some places and I have noticed the ford 1920 with the loader and backhoe is not as stable as my case 470. I have about decided that the compact or utility tractors are only good for use on level ground and mowing grass. could you take some pic's of the place you turned the tractor over?

Charlie.
)</font>

Charlie--

I will be taking some pics in the next week or so. The slope in degrees is over 20. That was not the problem. The near vertical 18" slope on the downhill side of the road I cut in was how I did this foolish thing.

I would say that the angle nearly 30 degrees and feeling very uncomfortable when I steered in the direction that caused the center of gravity to move DOWNHILL from the longitudinal axis of the tractor. Never had an articulating machine before, so didn't realize until it was too late that had I steered the other way (which is counter intuitive to regular tractor steering) I would have been badly stuck rather than sideways on the ground.

I will include diagram to show exactly how dumb I was! The old Ford 8N would never have approached this much angle without rolling.

Mark

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #8  

Glad you are ok.

This post does serve to answer a stability question that was asked in another sub concerning articulated machines.. and PT's in particular.

After reading this.. it -does- appear that articulating the machine while on a slope does tend to make it a bit tippier when the COG changes, and not 'more satbil' as someone else had posted.

Glad the PT has a great rops and you are here to write this.

Soundguy

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #9  

Mark, Glad you're okay and minimal tractor issues.

I am not familiar with your machine and ROPS, but something about ROPS in general that I don't think we appreciate enough...

Yes, ROPS can help keep you from getting injured from crushing, but what it also does many times is provide leverage counter to the roll that in many cases limits the incident to a flip, rather than a complete (and sometimes repeating) rollover.

Especially on slopes. I find it amazing that some won't fold up their folding ROPS. That leaves only your upper torso in most cases to counteract a roll and oh, say 3000-8000lbs CUT.

Ever tried to roll a car back over by hand? They are usually 2000-4000lbs (about same as many CUTs). Imagine what that would be like if you were sitting on the ground and you tried to stop it from rolling on you.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Of course, no one here is foolish enough to try that, yet there are still those who won't take the time (30secs???) to fold up their ROPS because it takes too much time... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As said earlier, glad you are okay and thanks for sharing.

BTW, does anyone have comments on how to right a roll? Dealing with fuel and fluids spilling all over hot components, how long to wait and what to check before restarting?

Being called out once already in the last 12 mos (winter) to right a rolled dozer, I wonder what others recommend

-JC

/ PT425 ROPS Spares Fool's Life #10  

Soundguy,

While the low-profile Power Tracs are more stable than CUTs due to their low center of gravity, every machine does still have its limits.

The lateral CG of an articulating machine will shift somewhat as it is steered. When on a side hill it will shift to the down hill side if the machine is steered up hill, but will shift to the up hill side if steered down hill.

I have both a NH TC-30 and a PT-1845, and the PT is MUCH more stable than the NH on hills of any sort. They each have their limits, and also respond differently to operator input, with the CUT being more "car like" and thus seems more natural to folks, but once you get used to the articulated motions, there are a lot of advantages to it.

All-wheel steering is another variant that does not have the same degree of lateral CG shift as articulated.

Rip