Kids on tractors

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Kids on tractors #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseum here, but I was at my parents today doing yardwork and this tractor came by their house. They live in a rural area, so it's a common occurrence, right? Well, this one had a young lad riding on the fender. The road is a primary highway, lots of traffic including logging trucks going back & forth to the chip mill just up the road, and also a drag strip three miles up the road. Not looking to stir up a hornets nest, but just wanted to share the picture here.

tractor with two riders.jpg

/ Kids on tractors #2  
Not a chance he could stop before something bad happened. One slip etc....

Good reminder!!

/ Kids on tractors #3  
Around here there is a good likelihood the County Sheriff would stop this and talk to the "adult" driving the tractor. Enough people get hurt just farming - it doesn't need to be encouraged by these type situations.

/ Kids on tractors #4  
You are just trying to stir crap IMO. No telling how many hours I logged as a kid way younger than that riding with my dad. By the time I was that kids age I was operating tractors all day, hooking and unhooking etc by myself. Relax it’s actually none of your business.

/ Kids on tractors #5  
You are just trying to stir crap IMO. No telling how many hours I logged as a kid way younger than that riding with my dad. By the time I was that kids age I was operating tractors all day, hooking and unhooking etc by myself. Relax it’s actually none of your business.
:thumbsup:

How did all us farm boys and girls ever survive! :confused3: :)

/ Kids on tractors #6  
I have no problem with the kid on the tractor.
Having the ROPS folded down is REALLY STUPID in my opinion.
But also none of my business.

/ Kids on tractors #7  
I remember one news report about a grandfather and grandson in an enclosed cab when something broke on a combine or other implement and a piece of the machinery flew through the glass cab striking the grandson in the head killing him.

The distraught and heartbroken grandfather cried and asked God why the grandson and not him.

A fluke accident for sure, but I have no intention of allowing my grandson to ride on a fender without a seatbelt.....ever.

/ Kids on tractors #8  
Yeah, it's a really bad idea but in a way, risk taking is a part of daily life. Carrying water in a five gallon bucket carries the risk of an infant drowning. Swallowing more toothpaste than normally used to brush your teeth and you're supposed to call the Poison Control Center. And what about going over the speed limit or that window seat on the plane? There are all kinds of risks, some we choose and some we don't but I will say that the risks I have taken in life have collectively led me to be what I am and what I know and am capable of doing. In other words, I wouldn't be where I am if I didn't do what I did. Risks are a part of life, especially rural life so we either relax or go back to using hand sanitizer and reading magazines.

Last edited:
   / Kids on tractors #9  
I feel its the adult call at the time...I sure would like nickel every time I rode on tractor or doodlebug.

/ Kids on tractors #10  
For me the "breaking point" is where you - as an adult - expose OTHERS to substantial risk. You care to do something that exposes only you to risk - that's your decision and your own business. Exposing others to risk - that MAY NOT be your decision to make. If that were my kid riding on your tractor - we would have words...........

Status
Not open for further replies.