Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default stiptic powder

I remember a while back there were some posts about a newer product that was going to be available as an emergency 'stop leak' for humans! Along the lines of a quick powdered coagulant.

Well I was out picking up some first aid kits for our jobsites.. and I noticed some were equipped with:

QR Powder <TM>
    Stops bleeding INSTANTLY

Anyone heard of or used this stuff?

Anyway.. I ended up getting kits that had packets of this stuff... hope our workers never need to test it..

Soundguy

Default Re: stiptic powder

Swift makes excellent first aid products and ive been using there products on my jobsites since forever. They have a Blood Clotter that works instantly. I accidently cut myself with a boxcutter and i was bleeding at a high rate and i sprayed some blood clotter on and it stopped instantly.

http://www.swiftfa.com/

Not exactly on-subject, but in the absence of anythingn like the powder, spider webs can be used until help can be sought. My great grandfather taught me that one years ago. His old shed always had plenty on hand. John

Tractor
    busted up New Holland TC 24D hydro :(, Replacment NH TC 24D!

This may be a Urban Lengend but I hear that Crazy Glue was developed during the Korean War and was used to stop bleeding until help arrived. I understand that it is non-toxic and binds skin together very well.

George

Tractor
    B7510

My oldest son was about 12 and helping us cut corn off of the cob. He ran the knife across the heal of his hand, he had a nasty deep cut. It was nice and straight. I cleaned it out with peroxide, pushed the sides together and ran a bead of superglue across it and added more the next couple days. He is now 25 and you can barely see a scar. They tell the grandchildren if they hurt themselves at grandpas, he'll just glue you back together

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & ZD326s

I expected to get stitches one time and the hospital used a form of super glue. I use it a lot now for minor cuts. It works well on dog's nails too, if you trim too close, and some brands come with a little brush on applicator.

Zee also makes a spray on blood clotter. I saw someone try it on a semi-deep cut for temporary purposes and it didn't work very well.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac 1430

Yep,

goes under the name DermaBond for medical use

Soundguy, since I first saw this post, I thought the product sounded familiar. Somewhere along in my career, I have seen this product. As I remember, it is only for use on superficial wounds, nothing really deep and serious. It is made from a polymer that is activated in the presense of blood. Keep in mind that you need to clean the would first, then apply the power after it starts bleeding again. You don't want to put it on a dirty wound and trap bacteria. The powder makes a kind of "scab" and will just fall off after a time. I never had to use any, but I did have to learn the procedure. John

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I was hoping it might have been some of the 'hi-power' stuff that we were reading about nearly a year ago. I can't recall the original post.. but think it may have been some soret of military first aid powder.. and it was sopposed to work for even deep/bad cuts.. ( guess noting works for severed arteries though [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Soundguy

Tractor
    ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub

Hi
    years ago we used a stiptic pencil to stop shaving nicks from bleeding. I haven't shaved in about 30 years it might still be in my old shaving bag I used when I was in the navy.

Charlie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast