Wierd things that have happened

/ Wierd things that have happened #31  
Bought and rode my first two wheeler - Lambretta - in 1965. Raced dirt track when we lived in Anchorage - 750 "Snortin' Norton". I was too big & knew what pain was - never won much at racing. When we moved back down here I bought a '98 Low Rider. Rode that Harley up until two years ago - then transferred over to my current bike - BMW R1200GSA.

I hope all of you can hear my knuckles knocking on wood - over 50 years of riding and never gone down or been in an accident. Been MIGHTY darn close but no cigar.

/ Wierd things that have happened #32  
I was mowing at the farm. A large limb, perhaps 8 inches or more in diameter broke off as I was passing under the tree. I had not hit the tree. It was large enough that when it fell it destroyed my fiberglass canopy, knocked my vertical muffler off, and bent my steering wheel and dented the hood. It never touched me at all but my hands were on the wheel and did not miss me by much. A few inches different and it would have been bad.

/ Wierd things that have happened #33  
We had a motorcycle get hit by a falling tree in front of the neighbors house a few months back. It landed on his front wheel, half a second later and it would have landed on his head.

Aaron Z

/ Wierd things that have happened #34  
Embarrasing, not life threatening. Long time ago raised free range pigs. Took a couple to slaughter and brought the trailer back to the yard to clean. We'd feed in the trailer for a couple of days before taking them. Made loading in a pasture easier. It was a smallish 12 x 6 trailer with a hinged on one side swinging door. Trailer was unhooked from the truck when I went in to clean it. When I walked to the front the trailer tongue dipped down, the trailer door slammed shut and somehow the locking pin bounced into place.
So, stuck in a very pig fouled trailer for 4 hours until the wife got home! Thanks be to God it wasn't middle of the summer!
Young relative of mine asked why didn't I just call someone on my cell phone? Would have had to invent one first!
Always put a block of wood in trailer doors after that . .

/ Wierd things that have happened #35  
Not a tractor.

36 years ago I was on bicycle and teenage girl made left turn in to parking lot. Her statement was "I didn't see him until he broke my windshield." I was lucky and woke up laying on 2' x 8' grass strip between street and sidewalk. Police measured 22 feet from impact to landing. My wife of 6 months got call from stranger to meet me at hospital. I ended up walking out of hospital that day, nothing broken. Hurting for a few weeks. Still have some aches from it.

Back in '81 (I was 19) I was driving a Subaru Brat. Was heading to the carryout after work one day and a guy on a bicycle was in front of me. Not much traffic on the road. As I approached him, I moved to the left about a half a lane to go around him. Without looking, he pulls right in front of me to pull into a big parking lot. I slammed on the brakes and slid sideways. He and the bike hit my right front fender - bike flew off to the right and he went straight up and landed on my hood looking at me through the windshield!! Was just like in the movies! LOL! When I slid to a stop, he slid off the hood into the gravel. I got out as he was picking himself up. I said "are you OK?" and he said "I think I am, but I'm not sure about my bike." At that point I saw my destroyed fender and said "the heck with your bike - look at my car!!!" LOL!

The weird thing was that this happened as he was pulling into a large, overflow parking lot for the local university. As we were looking at his bike and my car, the a fire engine and rescue squad pulled into the other side of the parking lot for some reason and sat there filling out reports. I ran across the lot to the fire engine and excited and out of breathe said "I just hit a guy on a bike!! Can you guys check him out?" The fireman looked at me and said "the guy that's standing over there?" "YEAH!" "He looks OK from here." WTF??? We were about 100 yards away! LOL!

Local cops came by and took a report. Told the guy it was his fault - failure to yield - and he was responsible for my damages. He paid up without a problem.