Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #2  
RIP Francis Smith. <__________________________>

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #3  
These kinds of stories seem so common and reminds me of near calls myself. It can happen to anyone. You break down and go to fix it when no one is around.

I know age is not my friend in that area but still find myself out on the tractor without my cell phone sometimes. It has web based path tracking (Life 360) and could see that I was not moving from one location. If I lost the phone where it was still working or not there is a map to its last point of movement. Like wise when the wife or daughter are out and having issues like a dead alternator I can watch the phone and know were they stopped if the battery dies. At a click of a button I have directions to that location.

I really would not want my family to have to come up on me this way but it could happen.

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #4  
Sad to read about.. I always try to take extra precautions when working on equipment, including often not working on something when my wife is not home if it might be dangerous. An extra set of eyes or help can prevent some accidents.

Probably 10 years ago, I was working on Suburban. I had to replace the gasket under the oil filter adapter and had used floor jack to raise vehicle, even took time to put jackstand under in case floor jack had problem.. The floor jack leaked down a few inches until the jack stand was supporting the vehicle. It was enough that I could not move, I was stuck, but was ok (unless the jackstand failed).. One of my daughters came out to see how things were going and got me out..

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #5  
   / Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #6  
I couldn't read it without completing a survey.

What happened?

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader
Sorry, I forgot about their new policies. In a nutshell, the front jack holding the tongue wasn't locked in and the spreader fell on top of him.

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #8  
Very Sad. So he was under the spreader?

/ Farmer killed while fixing manure spreader #9  
Very Sad. So he was under the spreader?

Yes, tongue rotated on the tongue jack that was not properly setup.

Crushed by a manure spreader is a shltty way to go. Pun intended but also sad for his relatives.

Guy had legal issues in the past but no one should have to go like that. Sounds like he was pinned and no one was around to find him.