What would you do?

/ What would you do? #1  

neilly2

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L285 with V1500A engine
My tractor was not manufactured with ROPS. At the recommendation of Kubota, the dealer supplied an aftermarket roll bar when I bought it, to cover his butt.

Its going on 4 years in the shed and I haven't installed it yet. Bearing in mind the the "S" in ROPS stands for system, meaning a roll bar AND a seat belt, I felt that installing it would not really serve a purpose since I don't have a belt.

Now, I'm itching to install it as use for a canopy and lights.

What would you do?

I'm not preoccupied with safety in general (I believe that smart, thought out operating is the best safety)

/ What would you do? #2  
I would not install a ROPS without a seatbelt. I occasionaly don't wear my seatbelt but I usually do. I always do when using a FEL or anthing engaging the ground. I always do when going up and down hills. I usually do when mowing the flat spots. But if you install the ROPS and that very rare occurance happens and you roll, and you don't have a seatbelt then you have a really big problem! If you want to install lights, buy a seatbelt too.

/ What would you do? #3  
Are you sure it doesn't have a seat belt in the package?

I bought a ROPS and seatbelt for my L345 2 years ago. It is a Kubota item, and I would be very surprised if a Kubota dealer provided anything else. In fact, the L345 and L285 ROPS are the same - see this page..

In any case, I would install the ROPS with a seat belt. If you install it without a seatbelt, it'll be the ROPS that crushes your skull in a rollover. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ What would you do?
No, there definitely wasn't a package. It defintely was a kubota dealer and a kubota bar. He just dropped off the bar and mounting hardware when it came in. There wasn't much discussion during the tractor transaction, just a few grunts. I bought it back East.

I am having trouble picturing the bar crushing your head. If the tractor rolls to the side or the back, I imagine your head would hit the ground after the bar did. Isn't the bar also to prevent multiple rolls?

Has anyone rolled one that can describe what happens?

/ What would you do? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Isn't the bar also to prevent multiple rolls?)</font>

No. The purpose of the ROPS is to create a space for the operator to be in so he/she won't be crushed by the tractor. The purpose of the seat belt is to keep the operator in that space.

/ What would you do? #6  
Most tractor seats have a place to bolt on seat belts. Or if they dont you can take the a bolt out of the seat mount bracket and then put your bolt through the seat bracket and ut it back on the tractor. I recall that set up on a factory installed belt on a 5000 Ford. Ive used alot of tractors with a rops and no belt I now its not 100 percent safe but its safer than no rops. Ithink TSC sells a belt kit, Or ou could order one from a tractor dealer, or one from a truck shop most of the dummy/passengers seat belts are after market replacements.

/ What would you do? #7  
Install it. Many, many older tractors are installed with ROPS that do not have a seatbelt. The ROPS will save your life. Yes the safety belt would be ideal as well but that ROPS is the most important. I know many people, myself included, that have rolled or tipped a tractor over and have been just fine without a safety belt. Without the ROPS though it could have been a different story.

/ What would you do? #8  
neilly2,

Well, the "crush your skull" comment was hyperbole on my part, but I've always been told "If you have a ROPS, always wear your seatbelt so the ROPS doesn't crush you. If you don't have a ROPS, don't wear a seatbelt, so you can try to jump clear in case of a rollover".

Your ROPS bar should have a serial number on it and a call to a local or mailorder Kubota dealer should result in a seatbelt in your possession. But, I would first go back and open your bolts and nuts package and doublecheck for a seatbelt.

/ What would you do? #9  
I agree with cowboydoc (I usually do), and suggest you install the ROPS. Also, find a seat belt and install it as well. But, I think the worst scenario is to roll the tractor without either ROPS or seatbelt, the next best is with the ROPS and not wearing a seatbelt (that's me), and the very best is the ROPS and wearing the seatbelt.

But, the scenario of no ROPS and wearing a seatbelt, is (IMO) not good if the tractor rolls over.

Having a ROPS in the barn when you roll the tractor isn't going to look too smart, IMO. The coroner might make a comment, and your wife's relatives might just verify what they suspected all along. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hopefully this is enough encouragement to get you off 'dead' center. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What would you do? #10  
neilly2,

I can't describe what happens when you roll your tractor (thank goodness), but here is a discussion from 2002 that discusses some issues with the ROPS installation. Good luck.