safety and being in a hurry

/ safety and being in a hurry #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Heres a good story about why safety is still important even when theres a deadline to meet. The incident certainly changed Allen's life --
"He says that the toughest part of this incident has been losing some of his independence. “I can operate the baler but can’t brush my teeth…go figure.”"

http://www.agrability.biz/newsletter/october_2003/1.cfm

/ safety and being in a hurry #2  
Based on my experiences and observations, being in a hurry is probably the biggest single cause of "accidents", whether it is on the farm or on the highway.

/ safety and being in a hurry #3  
And being tired probably follows real close...

/ safety and being in a hurry #4  
Hi
The more work and or playing you do the more chance you have of having an accident. So to be more safe I have just about stopped working.

Charlie.

/ safety and being in a hurry #5  
Hmm, good point there. I have been driving for well over 30 years with no accidents, maybe I am pushing the envelope and should quit driving before I have an accident /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ safety and being in a hurry #6  
yep you're pretty close to the edge

Charlie

/ safety and being in a hurry #7  
I concur that being tired and in a hurry are the two greatest contributing factors to having an accident...there are many times I want to hurry and take a shortcut which may save time but is a dumb thing to do.

My method is, I ask myself, how much time will I save by:
Not using the proper tool or safety glasses, or jogging the ladder so I don't have to go down and move it, or by not using my seat belt and putting up the ROPS on my tractor, etc.

Then I ask myself, how much will I LOSE if something happens when I take a shortcut....injuries, medical bills, pain, possible loss of eyesight or body parts, etc.

When I think about all the time I would waste recovering from an injury that happened because I tried to "save time" by taking an unsafe shortcut, that pretty much cures me from being hasty. Ditto being in traffic, when tempted to do something careless like an unsafe pass, I ask myself how much time would this save me during the trip? 30 seconds, okay, how much time would an accident cost me?

It's never worth it to hurry, if you think of it in those terms.