Safety chains on PTO shaft shields?

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #31  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The implement mfg don't even provide a place to hook these chains. They provide the PTO shield and chain but no place to hook the chain. Go figure. )</font>
I have chains on my PTO shaft for my rotary mower, and there is a hole in the metal PTO shield on my CK20 that I can hook it into. I think the hole was put there by Kioti just for that purpose. I've seen plenty of other tractors that didn't have a place specifically for the chains though.
The chain is hooked into the bell housing on the PTO plastic shield, and I could easily believe that one day it will break that plastic. I use it though.
John

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #32  
My NH also has a hole in the metal PTO shield on the tractor for the chain. I use the chain when I hook the cutter up (only PTO driven attachment I have). Only takes a second as with the hole and quick connects just pop it on and go. Only thing I don't like about the plastic shield is it makes greasing the u-joints very difficult. Gotta figure out the thing slides down. I've tried the directions given here on TBN and the manufacturers website, but it didn't work for me. I have to try again though. Maybe one of those situations where I need to someone to show me.

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and there is a hole in the metal PTO shield )</font>

My NH 7610S also has places in the pto shield on the tractor for the chains, as well as the mower has a metal shield to cover the ger boxes.. there are 2 holes in it to attach a chain..

Soundguy

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #34  
I use the chain on my LX4. About the first time I used it, the chain broke loose from being tied to one of the LX4 frame members. I reattached it. Stays fine now.

Ralph

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #35  
I always use the chains. My JD4410 has wire loops on the 3PH that I connect them too. What else could they be for?

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #36  
Those wire loops are to hold the pins that keep the 3 pt. links connected to the implements. My tractor had them in there when it was new.

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #37  
Anytime something comes with a safety device, I use it. It never hurts to be safe

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #38  
Guess I'll weigh in on the negative side, too.

The PTO shaft on my JD 4010 is hard to engage but getting easier as it wears in. I have to help hold the shaft and shield up by lacing a tension cord underneath the shield and looping it up to the tractor on both sides. The tension cord holds the weight of the shaft and shield to make it easier to snap and unsnap the PTO onto or off the shaft. There isn't much space for this and is one reason why I haven't gotten an iMatch yet. It would further restrict access down there.

Wonder why they don't just make a U-shaped shield to fasten over the shaft? One that could be removed to make fastening and unfastening the PTO easier? Provide clips for the U shaped shield to hand from. My LX4 has no clip for holding the anti-rotation chain in place. The thing just has to be lashed to an LX4 frame member.

I guess maybe something against a U-shaped shield would be it would allow stuff to get wrapped around the shaft from underneath. This may be why they went with a total enclosure.

Ralph

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have to help hold the shaft and shield up by lacing a tension cord underneath the shield and looping it up to the tractor on both sides. The tension cord holds the weight of the shaft and shield to make it easier to snap and unsnap the PTO onto or off the shaft. There isn't much space for this )</font>

Amen. It's an act of congress to get my 10' mower hooke dto the back of my Nh 7610. The PTO shaft is amazingly heavy, plus it has a connector that has the rotating collar that has to be held open to install.. between holding the collar open, and supporting that monstor pto shaft, and holding the tractors flip down pto shiled out of the way.. .. well.. it's a 3 arm job.. NOT made easier due tot he fact ther there is not much room back there... Allt he remote lines and plumbing.. shields.. mower frame.. huge honking tires..e tc... Hitching the mower is a colossal task.. the thing weighs about a ton.. I have just resigned to leaving it attacjed to the tractor 100% of the time...

Soundguy

/ Safety chains on PTO shaft shields? #40  
Are you saying that maybe it would be tough for someone to get tangled up in that shaft. hmmmmmm. BTW I just hooked up a new Woods 60 inch tiller yesterday. Try as I might I can see no indication of where to connect that chain. I finally as usual wrapped it around anything close. In this case it was the top link pin. The PTO flip shield on the my 4310 also has a hole as has been stated. Don't ya think they would have indicated somewhere that this was an important safety connection point? They have icons for everything else. No it's just a hole,thats all.