Step bumper hitch

/ Step bumper hitch #11  
Yes Eric,
Go to almost any do-it-yourself auto parts or a TSC or even Wal-Mart. Separate your connectors in the rear and plug it in.

Made by Hoppy, costs $19.95 at Auto Zone if you have one close

/ Step bumper hitch #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't want to hijack this thread but a quick question.....I have an 01 Chevy S10 and would like to wire in a trailer connector and wonder if there is anything that hooks into the existing wiring ??? I don't want to have to cut & splice, etc.etc.
Thanks
Eric )</font>

Most vehicles, including my 2000 S-10 has the wiring harness up inside the left side frame rail. All you need to do is wire an end plug to it.

/ Step bumper hitch
JC Whitney sells a step bumper box hitch that is rated at 500 lbs. tongue weight and 5,000 lbs. trailer weight, the same as the step bumper. E-mailed the co. that makes the hitch, and of course they state that in no way will this hitch alter the tow capacity of the bumper if properly installed. But, after looking at the measurements of the hitch and the mounting holes, I've decided it won't fit my truck and have decided to get a Class IV mounted by the local hitch store.

/ Step bumper hitch #14  
My FORD factory installed RECEIVER hitch on my F150 is rated for 5000 lbs and 500lb tongue weight in weight carrying mode. I was suprised. No different from the bumper that came installed.

Does go up to 7000lbs and 700 in weight distributing mode.

Check your ratings on your receiver hitches - you too might be surprised.

/ Step bumper hitch #15  
First let me place a strong vote for the Class III or better yet IV receiver hitch. A load that heavy needs brakes also and should be on both tandem axles even if your state only requires them on one. Many newer trucks are factory wired for a brake controller that should just plug in under the dash.

Regarding trailer wiring, auto parts stores and others that sell a variety of hitches also sell a plug-in adaptor for "popular" truck models that just plugs in series with the existing wire harness that feeds the truck tail/brake lights.

This type of adaptor usually is only the basic 4 or 5 wire type for lights only and is not set up for use with electric brakes. You may need another adaptor for trucks that have separate amber turn signals and red brake lights to function with a trailer with standard combined brake & turn.