Man Dies In Trench Collapse

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I just read about this tragedy this evening....... People just don't realize the danger that they put themselves in when they enter a trench.

HUDSON, Mass. -- A homeowner died Thursday when the trench he was digging in front of his home collapsed, trapping him inside.

You can read the whole story here.... This story is copyright material otherwise, I would have posted in in its entirety ...

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #2  
Almost happened to my 2 brothers, but they were lucky: the collapse started an one end and sort of chased them down the trench. They 'Indiana Jonesed' it and ended up paying a pro. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #3  
I heard that you only need to be buried waist deep to die.
Even with a buddy system, there may not be enough time to avoid a tragedy.

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oh man, you guys are just like me, SICK, or I wouldn't be reading this thread! )</font>
I'm not sure whether that's enough or not, but getting just a little higher would compress the lungs to a point that your diaphram couldn't inervate the lungs. Come to think of it, with enough pressure waist down, the circulation could be surpressed enough to cause death.
I've never thought about it before, but makes some sense. John

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oh man, you guys are just like me, SICK, or I wouldn't be reading this thread! John )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I must be...... I just got the following e mail and this confirms it for me......

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Paul, did you know your neat comment about Costco caskets and dying while waiting in line made it to The Funeral Monitor quotes from famous industry folks?
KD)</font>

Just remember..... I may be the last one to let you down... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #6  
"Come to think of it, with enough pressure waist down, the circulation could be surpressed enough to cause death. "

Back in the late 60's, I worked as a plumber's helper (right out of high school).

I liked the job, but working in trenches was never fun...especially if the bottom of the trench is that soppy sticky muck. Just can't move quick enough!

Even with shoring..good shoring too...we suffered more then one side wall collapse.

I was buried waist deep in one. Didn't take long to dig me out...but you always worry about another collapse when they're digging you out.

I don't think a waist deep burial would be life threatening. Any deeper, you may not be able to breathe.

It reads like the guy who died (topic of this thread) may have been working alone. Never...repeat..NEVER get in a trench without someone topside who can call for help..better yet, two guys. If the trench collapses, one guy can help you while the other calls for help and keeps an eye for more wall cave ins.

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #7  
Because trench collapses occur in waves of up to three, being buried to your knee (which requires over 700 lbs to pull free) immobilizes you and makes you unable to escape the second and third collapses.

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #8  
I lost a friend this way, couldn't dig him out fast enough.

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #9  
The problem is not necessarily that the burial stops breathing. Sometimes the burial is fatal even if it's only up to the lower leg. The pressure from the soil can be sufficient to stop circulation in the extremity. If buried long enough clotting begins & when the soil is removed the clots break free & BANG the heart stops.

/ Man Dies In Trench Collapse #10  
<font color="blue">I lost a friend this way, couldn't dig him out fast enough.
</font>

I couldn't help but reply to this Bill, that must be an awful memory. It strikes a chord with me as I almost lost my life in a trench ~35 years ago. I tell you, to this day I have a hard time getting into any trench more than a couple feet deep.

Interesting about the 'wave' theory. Makes sense.