Gas Line

/ Gas Line #21  
Hi everyone , just a couple of things to think about around gas lines.Most service lines are 14" to 18" deep because of
hand digging if there is ever a fire or problem. Most main lines are 30" to 36" deep.If the gas lines were installed after
1980 should be yellow caution tape 6" to 8" under gound.

/ Gas Line #22  
You are correct.

I had upgraded from oil to NG and my neighbor is a VP at our local Gas and Electric Company. I called him and within 2 days they were digging in my yard. I asked the workers how deep and they stated 12 to 18" was code and PSI was not the high at all. Plus the fact the line was plastic.

Plus the line is not the big in Dia...

/ Gas Line #23  
Your post reminded me of a story. Last fall I decided to extend the downspouts from our pole barn across our drive so that we would have less ice build up in the drive area during winter months. We called the utility company and told them we would be digging and that we basically needed only the gas line tagged so we wouldn't hit the buried line with the backhoe.

They came out and marked the yard with paint and flags on a day that we were both away from the house running errands. Unfortunately they marked the opposite side of the house than the gas meter was mounted on for the gas line. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif We again called and explained that the gas line was incorrectly marked and that we wouldn't be responsible for hitting the gas line if they weren't willing to mark it correctly.

That same day a supervisor and a technician came out and fastened a device to the tracer wire at the gas meter and painted a line on the correct side of the home and yard where the gas line actually lay buried. It seems that the 1st tech had a problem with his electronic gadget that he was supposed to use hence it was incorrectly marked. When I asked them why tech number one marked the yard on the opposite side of the house that had the gas meter they had no answer to my question.

Be careful out there when digging guys, these folks do make mistakes.

/ Gas Line #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( these folks do make mistakes )</font>

They're pretty good most of the time, but yes, they do make mistakes. When we had a swimming pool installed in '77, I knew where the gas line was because I had seen in installed. They guy who marked our phone line got ours right, but missed the fact that the next door neighbors line was also there and got cut when the excavation started. And I didn't believe what the kid marked for the electric line, so called back, they sent a supervisor out, and he agreed with the kid. Then the first bucket of dirt the backhoe dug pulled up the power line, make sparks fly, etc. and made a backhoe operator bail off the machine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Gas Line #25  
......"I have just gotten the BILL from the gas company.....
SUR PRIZE it was $ 86.00 I was looking for a larger one then this first bill I have ever been Happy to pay

DougM "........

Doug, I'd check the call before you dig rules in your state. In PA, If the mark is off by 18 in either way, or the line isnt a minimum of 1 foot down even if marked correctly, its not the diggers fault.

You are required to call 36 hrs before you break ground, to follow the mark you are given, and to hand dig 36 in, 18 either side of the mark. They are required to get there in 36 hours and give you a mark +- 18 inches from the actual location.

Unless you were closer than you should have been to the mark with the hoe, I wouldnt pay a dime.

As to marking the opposite direction. You can get a reflecton when using locators, thats what he marked. Locators take some skill and a bunch of whichery to nail a location exactly. Ask for depth and you really add magic to the mix. Depending on how it is connected, you can get a signal BETWEEN two UG utilities, mainly if you have a shared ground that you cant unbond. The magic is to know when the box is lying to you.

/ Gas Line #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( They never are where they say that they are..... it happens all the time. Have them mark it out and do some test holes when they come to fix it. Tell them that it must be properly identified on its entire length of the property because you will be doing some extensive digging and don't want an explosion because of their inability to locate the utility properly. I am surprised that they are waiting till daylight to come. Around here, the slightest smell of gas leaking will bring out the troops to find where it is coming from. What I didn't know about natural gas until we had a problem is that black iron pipe will rust out from the inside to the outside as a result of natural gas. The gas company said that it should be replaced every 20 years even if it isn't leaking. )</font>

All of my underground gas and water lines are plasitc.
I put them in 1971.

In 1996 the builder that built my pole building drilled through the gasline when he was boring the holes to set the post in.
We just shut the meter off repaired the line and went on with the project.

That's probaly what i would do if something like that happened again.

/ Gas Line #27  
[ One thing very dangerous about a line hit on plastic is the static electricity produced by the rushing gas against the plastic. )</font>
And the danger of steel pipe is any sparks from the BH ripping through the pipe.

/ Gas Line #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A short pce of ornge tube and two compreson fittings and all is fixed..
Now I am waitting for the BILL from them
STill trying to get the water line in so I will be looking for more GAS line
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>
What bill this one is on them not you.?

/ Gas Line #29  
Around here, if they mark the line, it's not where they said it was, and you break it, it's theirs. If you don't have them mark it, it's yours.
======================
The thing that intrigues me is how are they going to mark a line that's not on their easement or right of way?

)</font>

/ Gas Line #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have just gotten the BILL from the gas company.....
SUR PRIZE it was $ 86.00 I was looking for a larger one then this first bill I have ever been Happy to pay

DougM /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )</font>

I'm never happy to pay a bill that I don't owe because i don't pay them.