child add on seat

/ child add on seat #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
Found this on another forum and it is on ebay also.
NOTE:
I have no affiliation with this product nor do i endorse it use.

I think it dangerous to have children anywhere near a lawnmower. I wonder if an engineer approves that design? Looks like danger for the whole family if it tipped or rolled over. What about flying debris from under the deck?
SCARY...

See LINK
ebay

/ child add on seat #2  
I was going to say that I'm sure that they did not intend for it to be used while mowing until I saw the pictures which show it being used while mowing. I hope that there are warnings about using it on level surfaces only (it might change the COG sitting up so high). I don't think that flying debris would be too much of a problem as it does sit up pretty high, pretty close to the tractor. I think that the overall design is alright but not for use while mowing - maybe for a visit to the neighbors or something...

/ child add on seat #3  
I can see one danger already. The lawn mower is already overweight in the rear and going up a incline may cause it to tip over rearward. Wonder if they have product liability insurance on this design.

Attachments

• 535204-JD Seat.jpg
    535204-JD Seat.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13,025
   / child add on seat #4  
I like to have my boy sit on my leg when mowing its not the safest thing to do, even though my arm is around him.

I would not use this product.

It needs a wheelie bar, or at least 150lb of front weights, something to prevent legs from being crushed between the seat and ground.

Notice his lack of foot protection, dont think he is dealing with a full deck to begin with.

/ child add on seat #5  
Well. here are my observations... The use of a seatbelt without a rops structure is generaly a no-no.. with the seatbelt on.. the passanger has no way to dive off the tractor in case of a flipover.

Also.. there should have been footpegs or a footboard, instead of relying on feet resting on the rear fenders of the tractor.

The attatchment points on most lawnmowers will be limited to a small tounge, and/or perhaps some small area made ofr a bracket for a sun shade. That IMHO will be the limiting factor for carried weight.

At least with the mower pictured.. it looks like there is little chance for a backflip on level ground.. that mower has good weight forward, and low profile. However a mound or hill may cause problems on that mower.. or another mower with different geometry may also have problems from the getgo.

I made a similar kind of buddy seat for my 66 IH cub.. it was a plain pan seat, braced to the fixed drawbar, and to the rear of the tractor.. it has foot pegs, and a fixed 'joystick' for the passanger to hold on to. Geometry of the tractor is more than sufficient for ballance, as there is a belly mower and front blade on that tractor. I copied the design from one i saw on a massey harris pony, which looks very similar to a IH cub. It was at a FL flywheelers tractor show and was used as transportation. Many of the shows allow golf carts, lawnmowers, and tractors under a certain size to be used as intra-show transportation, with the rule that you must have a seat for each passanger.. no pasangers standing or 'clinging' to the tractor.

Soundguy

/ child add on seat #6  
One good liability suit and he won't be making those any longer.

That's putting children in harms way, he can't even keep an eye on them while he is mowing unless he has eyes in the back of his head.

/ child add on seat #7  
<font color="blue"> One good liability suit and he won't be making those any longer. </font>

Once again, I'll take the minority viewpoint -- please be gentle.

They still make these type of seats for kids on bicycles designed for one person.

limo-child-seat.jpg

/ child add on seat #8  
Dave, I agree & disagree.

There is an issue of reasonable safety with the child seat for the bike, it shows a full harness type seatbelt, a helmet, full height backrest, a padded lap bar, leg guards, etc.

Then there is the open concept of the tractor seat for the kids. Sure there is a seatbelt, but not much else.

The legal team I keep on retainer would probably consider the tractor seat a goldmine in liability issues. The libertarian leaning realist in me looks at it and thinks it would be great fun for a kid to sit back there. Then again riding in the back of a pick up truck used to be considered fun, but now is considered down right dangerous, and when I was a kid I never knew anyone who injured his head riding a bike but now everyone (except me) seems to wear those silly bike helmets . . .

Thank goodness we have lawyers to protect us from ourselves.

/ child add on seat #10  
<font color="blue">Once again, I'll take the minority viewpoint -- please be gentle.

They still make these type of seats for kids on bicycles designed for one person.
</font>

10 speed bike ~30#
Lawn Tractor ~400#+

I wonder what Deere thinks about it's product being used to showcase this accessory...