woods bush hogging tips.

/ woods bush hogging tips. #1  

BrettW

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FF205D
I want to start bush hogging in my woods just to make it walkable and later keep it looking nicer than brush and trees. Could use lots of safety tips. Dont want to hit stumps, rocks, or holes that would flip me.
That would really ruin my day. thanks, brett w

/ woods bush hogging tips. #2  
if you have a FEL ive heard people say to put it a few inches off the ground so it will 'feel' out stumps and rocks hidden in weeds and of cource keep your eyes out
also you could walk all over it and kick about and put in posts were big rocks and stumps are so you can miss them with the hog
hope it helps
mith

/ woods bush hogging tips. #3  
If possible, walk the area first.
I'm one of those guys who strongly suggests using the loader bucket as low as possible to "find" stumps and such. Now, the loader isn't going to find holes and ruts so go slow! Going slow will give you time to react if one of your wheels drops into a rut.

I also suggest you set your cutter as high as you can for the first passes over any "unknown territory". You can cut lower the next time you cut if you don't let it get too high in the interim.
Another thing is to do your initial cutting as early in the season as possible....before any growth gets going in the Spring.

You'll also have a tendency to watch the ground as you're passing and the cutter. Well, don't forget those low hanging branches that'll slap you in the face.

Again, I'll repeat it... go slow!

/ woods bush hogging tips. #4  
In addition to following the advice already given above, you might want to consider some kind of guard that will protect you from whatever the rotary cutter might throw your way.

Here's a previous thread... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ woods bush hogging tips. #5  
Go around the outside of your propery clearing brush out and then catch the wind right and burn it. Should go quick and you don't have to worry about dropping into a whole or hitting a stump then.

/ woods bush hogging tips. #6  
Brett: I walk the area I am going to HOG and put red flags on anything that might cause a problem especially any stumps or rocks I have not removed yet.

/ woods bush hogging tips. #7  
Brett
Don't allow anyone or any pet to be on the job site. Objects can be thrown considerable distance at high velocity. A few situations that I am aware of or have heard of in this area: Rock thrown into a tree and came back to hit the oerator in the face, breaking his nose and knocking him unconscious. A piece of barbed wire was driven into the chest of an onlooker, and a picture window was broken 200+ feet away after being hit with a rock. My brother-in-law ran a large rotary cutter mounted on a Grader and had the broken nose. As I get older, I have to keep reminding myself before every job, "Take it slow and be Safe".
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ woods bush hogging tips. #8  
I usually bush hog nude, with my Gravely and with my new JD. No problems yet. The Gravely hog is way out front and kicks stuff out its front end. The JD LX4 has chains on the front and kicks stuff out the unguarded rear. My hogging is all down well away and downhill of the house.

Got a looked-like-a-bullet-hole in the door of our old thick-skinned 1983 Benz driving across Alligator Alley in Florida. The contractor doing the center island was using a bush hog with missing chains and even had a hole in the deck. The cops made him take everything back to the shop. Got paid for the damage, about $1,000, and got it repaired like new. If it had been about a foot higher, I'd be a dead man. Had my pants on then.

Ralph

/ woods bush hogging tips. #9  
Make sure you have the front of the hog a little lower than the rear to help avoid objects coming out the front and hitting you/tractor.
If cutting higher the first time, don't come up too high as whatever you hit will more easily be thrown toward you.
When keeping the FEL down to "feel" for objects, remember that if it hits something, you may do damage. So follow the advice given, to GO SLOW. Once you have it all cleared up, you can mow faster, but still always proceed with caution. Things just magically seem to appear in places where you thought it was clean. John

/ woods bush hogging tips. #10  
sometimes you would be money ahead hiring the first brush hogging done. Let someone else tear up their stuff first, then go in behind the hired work and keep it cut.