Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #1  

63DH8

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1725M Bolens TX 1504 (G154) 1957 John Deere 420C crawler
It's that time of year when wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets are out and ambushing us. I told my youngest daughter to be careful as she was out planting blue berry bushes. Shortly after warning her, I hear the Shopvac running. My daughter stuck a 25 foot long piece of PVC pipe onto the end of my Shopvac and was sucking up the wasps from the eves of my garage! As I was walking up, I could hear the wasps pinging off the insides of the pipe and the Shopvac. When she was done, we opened the Shopvac to discover the wasps had shattered from the impact of bouncing off the defector that's inside of the Shopvac. After she's through vacuuming the wasps, she knocked the nest down.

A word of caution: Don't spray insect spray into your Shopvac. You could blow it up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Can you buy only the upper end of a Shopvac? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #2  
I must not have used the same or as much spray since my vac did not blow up good tip though.

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #3  
none of those things should be messed with, i spent a day in the hospital last july from 1 bee sting. seems all of a sudden i developed an allergy to them. i now have to keep an epipen close at hand.

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #4  
Are epipens by prescription only? (we live in boonies with little time for a 911 call)

do they have a decent shelf life?

Inquiring minds

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #5  
Yes, Epi pens (short for epinepherine) are by prescription only unless given to you by a paramedic. According to the protocols in my county, an EMT or paramedic is allowed to give a shot of epi only under certain conditions (patient in respiratory distress, vital signs within certain range, etc).

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #6  
Several years ago, I was out in a boat with my 2 cousins - one of which is deathly alergic to bee stings. We're about 3/4 mile from shore when guess who gets stung. He started going into fits almost instantly - and where was the epi? In the car on shore ("bees don't come out over water"). The other cousin and I looked like the guys on Hawaii Five-0 paddling furiously back to the shore. When we got him to the doctor, he told us that just a few minute more and it would have been to late. MAKE SURE THOSE EPI PENS ARE ON YOU EVERYWHERE YOU GO.

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #7  
right on the money bonehead.......the time taken for the script
to obtain an epi-pen is worth it. Choking to death from a little bee is not the way I would want to end my days.

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #8  
Suck up some seven dust.. etc.. permethrin powder.. livestock face fly powder.. etc.. that'l do it.

Soundguy

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #9  
After nearly dying last October, I wear my epi-pen on my belt. Bought a small nylon flashlight holster that fit the pen perfectly.

/ Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets, & 15 year old girl #10  
What's the shelf life on those epipens?