Are all ROPS created equally?

/ Are all ROPS created equally? #1  

ChrisinVa

Tractor
Mahindra 3510 HST
I am new to this phenomenal site and shopping for a tractor. My primary concern is safety (esp. after viewing those fatalities). I notice some ROPS on newer tractors are bolted to the fenders. How strong are these? I mean, aren't they just attached to stamped sheet metal?
For what its worth, I'm shopping for a: 26-30 HP, HST 4WD w/ FEL, 5' Finish Mower for my fairly hilly 27 acre property.
Thanks so much in advance,
Chris

/ Are all ROPS created equally? #2  
I'm sure that all factory ROPS although they look like they bolt to the fenders, actually attach to the tractor structure under the fenders. Manufacturers have to roll the tractors several ways and maintain their structural integrity to make rollovers survivable to the operator.

I've seen video (similar to the John Wayne movie War Wagon where they take a tree on ropes and knock the top off the wagon) where they swing a huge weight against a ROPS or cab to check the integrity.

So, for whatever size/weight tractor you buy, its ROPS will protect you per the required standards. Of course, you HAVE to wear your seat belt to maintain your safety.

ron

/ Are all ROPS created equally? #3  
Welcome to the forums Chris.

One big difference is whether you want a fixed or folding ROPS. If you plan on parking your tractor in your garage that has the normal garage door dimensions, think about getting the foldable ROPS. It's a little more expensive but much cheaper than modifying your garage door. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

...Bob

/ Are all ROPS created equally? #4  
Chris our last rig had the rear fenders sandwiched between a section of ROPS that was bolted together. The ROPS had enough shimmy that the metal fenders were cracked in spots. This was a Chinese import and I never really trusted the ROPS on it, glad I never had to use it.

I would however trust the ROPS on our TC-40D New Holland as it's built a tad bit more stout.

Welcome to the TBN site by the way.

/ Are all ROPS created equally?
Thank you gents for your thoughts. I think my main concern is that some of them seem (look) far more stout than others.

I will absolutely wear my seatbelt (and keep the ROPS up).
I do plan to build a barn with a fairly tall door, but will still opt for the foldable one, as Murphy's Law would suggest.
I was out on the property today and have decided that there are some areas that I simply will not operate a tractor. I think I will fence some of these steep slopes and deploy some "grass-eaters" to maintain them;-)

Chris

/ Are all ROPS created equally? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I notice some ROPS on newer tractors are bolted to the fenders. How strong are these? I mean, aren't they just attached to stamped sheet metal?
)</font>

Chris,
You know that's a darn good question. You know for cars there are all sorts of collision tests - NTSB, the various insurance boards, etc. But, who tests and verifies that the ROPS or FOPS structures are truly well designed for ag or construction use. Someone here on the board may know the answer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Are all ROPS created equally? #7  
I don't know if they perform the test. I think OSHA sets the standard for the test .When the test is completed & all goes well. Then the rops are certified by OSHA & there should be an OSHA decal on the ROPS.