el-cheapo- electronic ear muffs at HF

/ el-cheapo- electronic ear muffs at HF #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I just got an email add from harbor freight. The have those electronic nois filtering ear muffs regularly 25$ for 19$:

Screen out Noise, Still Hear Conversations
Listen to conversations, keep an ear on machinery while protecting your hearing. Revolutionary technology blocks out only the sounds that exceed safety levels.
Screens out noise over 85dB
Over 200 hrs. battery life on two "AA" batteries (sold separately)
Hands free operation
LED indicator light
Solid state circuitry

ear muffs

i love how they mention "solid state".. as if there would be vacume tubes in it or something! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

soundguy

/ el-cheapo- electronic ear muffs at HF #2  
i wonder if they even work...

/ el-cheapo- electronic ear muffs at HF #3  
I bought a set of them about a month ago. They are pretty decent. I've never used any of the expensive "muffs" but these were a whole lot better than the sponge ear plugs I had been using. They were also a lot more comfortable. I wore them for about 12 - 13 hours a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Mowed w/ MMM for about half the day and then swapped to the rotary cutter. Can still hear all pertinent noises, but at a diminished level. Could even tell when I had started lugging the motor w/ the MMM.

I also used them while weedeating. Had someone stop and ask for directions. As soon as I let the trimmer go back to idle, the muffs turned back on and I was able to talk to the person w/o taking the muffs off.

Received an extra "bonus." I was never able to hear/feel my cell phone ringing when using one of the mowers. With the hears muffs on, the cell phone emitted enough interference and created a buzz that I knew my cell phone was ringing.

Since the web price was cheaper than store, they ended up letting me have them for I think $17 at the store. I'm pretty happy.

Oh, guess I should mention, I did get one scare. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I had run the trimmer out of gas and was walking back to the shed to get more. The muffs had turned back "on." I heard tires squealing. Sounded like the car was coming right at me, but in reality they were just leaving the stop sign about 100+ yards away. You can also hear a lot of birds chirping and the grass crunching under your feet as you walk with them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ el-cheapo- electronic ear muffs at HF #4  
Soundguy,
Don't know about the sound cancelling muffs, but bought a couple pair of th 1.99 regular sound muffs, worked great and not really uncomfortable. Worked well while under the Bush Hog sharpening the blades with a 4 inch grinder. Nice and peaceful.
At that price they are throwaway when they get ugly looking.
Ben

/ el-cheapo- electronic ear muffs at HF #5  
I have a pair of those. Actually I've had two pairs. The first arrived and worked for about 5 minutes then, for some unknown reason, they no longer worked. I returned them and got another pair. They have worked just great. I wear them when using nail guns and pistol shooting. My impression is they are NOT great quality, but like most things from HF if I get a couple good years use out of them I'm happy. The ear muffs have passed that test. My next pair will be the "real" ones though.

Make sure you ask if they are on backorder. They must be a popular item because I had to wait about 6 months (no kidding /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif) before they shipped.