Tractor Safety With Loader, Or Without Loader

/ Tractor Safety With Loader, Or Without Loader #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
I own a 55 PTO horsepower tractor with cab, with 4X4, and with loader. The tractor weighs 7,500 pounds, and the loader on it weighs 2,100 pounds. The total weight of this tractor with loader on it is 9,600 pounds.

My question is this: Do you think my tractor would be more safe with loader on it for rolling ground, or less safe with loader on it for rolling ground when I am using my 8 foot pull type rotary cutter. It seems to me that my tractor is more top heavy with the loader on it when I am on rolling ground, or is this just a false feeling that I get operating this tractor with loader on it.

I would like to hear your pros and cons on safety when operating this tractor with loader on it on rolling ground, and operating this tractor without loader on it on rolling ground. I use this tractor mostly with a 8 foot pull type rotary cutter. Most of my farm is not rolling, but I do have some ground that is rolling that I use my rotary cutter on.

By the way, I know for safety that I need a low profile tractor without cab to use with my 8 foot pull type rotary cutter on rolling ground, but at the present time, I own just this one 55 PTO horsepower tractor with cab, with 4X4, and with loader to pull my 8 foot pull type rotary cutter. I hope in the near future that I can come up with the cash to buy a low profile tractor for my rotary cutter.

All replies to this post for safety with loader on tractor, or without loader on tractor would be most appreciated.

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up, until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ Tractor Safety With Loader, Or Without Loader #2  
I brush cut with the loader installed, but that's to knock down taller brush and to act as a counterweight for the cutter. I think this year, I'll make my second cutting session without the loader...I'll just hit that area before it gets more then knee high.

However, I mow almost exclusively with the loader off...due to the mass or the loader making my 790 a bit more top heavy. In your case, you're adding ~ 25% more weight above the axle centerline. Personally, I'm a lot more comfortable with the loader off. You'll know if you are the first time you hit those rolling hills without the loader installed.

If your fields aren't too overgrown, I'd run without the loader. Since you have a pull type cutter, you probably don't need front weights, however they might be a good addition when you're operating upslope.

I assume your tractor is equipped with a ROPS. Make sure you use your seat belt if if it is.