Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ???

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #1  

BigAl

Platinum Member
California , Idaho and a little island in Panama
Tractor
Kioti DK45TLB
I have read a few post about kids and tractors on this site . Here is my question : At what age do you think is safe for a young person to learn to operate a tractor ? I know some of us were still messing our pants when we learned to help out around the old place . My uncle had a huge farm and when harvest rolled around ,all his boys and girls stayed home from school and helpped out . My son was on a JD Crawler with a hoe at 3 and could dig a septic tank hole in no time . Sure I was right there the whole time watching and making dang sure he was safe ,but he ran the backhoe control levels . Some kids learn responibility and skills quicker than others . I learned at 9 or 10 on a old 9n myself as I imagine quite a few of us have .
Allen

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #2  
There is no set answer to this question. Some kids are ready earlier in life than others -- but I feel until they can sit in the seat and push the pedals all the way down it should not even be attempted.

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #3  
It depends on the child. As soon as you feel the child is mature enough to operate the tractor, I would say go for it. I also learned at age 9 on a MF 240 tractor with a harrow. Boy, those were the times. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #4  
I concur with the previous posters.

I also wouldn't limit it to tractors. Any machine or tool or ??? that has moving parts should be based on the capabilities, maturity... of the operator. I know many adults that I wouldn't trust with a tractor, circular saw, chainsaw, etc.

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #5  
The answer depends on the child. At about 10 I was doing pretty much everything farmwise. Even plowed with a mule some. At 16 my father died, and I had it all to do.

My little brother now was another matter......

Ben

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #6  
I aggree with the others - depends on skills, maturity level and ability of each kid.

I put my daughter on the garden tractor every year as a test. Once her feet could safely control the pedals she got a driving lesson. She was 8 at the time. She mostly drove the garden tractor with the cart attached while I loaded the cart with whatever we were hauling.

She was just turned 15 when we got the BX. She quickly became the primary operator.

But at the same time I have a brother in law who I would not let near any of my tools. He and machinary just don't seem to get along. It all goes back to maturity, ability, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #7  
Great question. I have a 5,3, and 2 year old boys and a girl due Sept...so this hits home to me. I do give them rides on the tractors and dozer but never with implements running. Everytime I stop, if they are ANYWHERE outside, the equipment is turned off and all implements lowered and hydraulic pressure relieved (same for storage certainly.

I think when they can physically operate all control they are safe to consider driving...only if psych/emotionally/intellectually/responsibility issues are ready. I do not see me letting them operate any implements for a LONG time...maybe merely driving the tractor around to start. It scares me to death to think of any harm coming to them but I also need to teach them responsibility at home first...hopefully that will carry to other areas away from home.
Peter

/ Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #8  
On a lighter side....this guy is toooo young to operate equipment alone.

Attachments

• 691878-Sean and Deere.jpg
    691878-Sean and Deere.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 280
   / Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ??? #9  
But this guy can work all day independently...

Attachments

• 691881-Ian deere.jpg
    691881-Ian deere.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 266
   / Earliest age to learn to run a tractor ???
Some of the fondest and only memories I have of my Grandpa was getting to ride with him on that old Poppin Johnie . I would not trade that for anything .
Allen