Man Dies in Farm Accident

/ Man Dies in Farm Accident #1  

JazzDad

Gold Member
Tractor
Main: Case 235
The subject was a headline in the Fayette County [Texas] Record today.

"The man was apparently digging postholes in a front pasture using a tractor-power auger when he dismounted and went to the back of the tractor. His pants got caught in the machinery and his lower right leg was cut off."

/ Man Dies in Farm Accident #2  
I am sure it was much more gruesome than described. But we probably have all heard/read it enough before to have a visual image of what may have happened without a written description. Its been said many times before, but can never be said too many times. Be careful out there. It can be dangerous.

/ Man Dies in Farm Accident #3  
A friend on mine and his brother were digging post holes a few years ago. His brother was standing behind the post hole digger when it fiund some wire buried below the grass. His brother made two or three circles around before he got the tractor shut down. The only thing that saved his life was the fact they removed the draw bar. He still spent some time in the hospital and many months in rehab and still walks with a limp today.

/ Man Dies in Farm Accident #4  
How many times has it been said here... never, ever get off your tractor unless the PTO is at a complete stop. I know this is hard advice to follow in some circumstances, but going against this simple piece of advice is just asking for trouble. Add to that, that under no circumstances would I ever let anyone near a 3 point implement while it was running either. I cringe especially when I hear or see that someone is running a post hole digger while a buddy is in back helping to guide it. This is just not a safe practice. better to rent a two man gas powered auger if one feels that the tractor needs help.

...Tony

/ Man Dies in Farm Accident #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( better to rent a two man gas powered auger )</font>

My dad and I have rented the 2 man gas powered auger the brand name was "Ground Hog". It got caught on a rock and thew both of us several feet into the yard. We laughed but were pretty leary of trying it again. I'm sure the clutch wasn't adjusted correctly. We did end up getting thrown again before the job was done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
TonyV,
I agree with you on shutting off the PTO. I even shut the engine off incase the clutch would some how engage while I'm messing with the PTO shaft.