Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south central)
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Default Hearing Protection

Do you where hearing protection? If so, what kind?

I haven't been using any because I want to hear what's going on with the tractor and the mower. But I do notice some ear-fatigue when I take a break. Doesn't seem like the noise is that great but it is constant for an extended period. So what do you think?

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

Default Re: Hearing Protection

I use the foam earplugs that you squish up and put in your ear and it expands. I am thinking of getting custom made ones that are molded to your own ear.

Regardless -- you will still be able to hear the engine and mower. After wearing the earplugs a bit, you'll know what sounds right/wrong with things. If you start to lose hearing from being subjected to loud noise, that is something that will not heal. It's a good idea to use some sort of protection -- even if it's cotton in the ears.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

A couple of recent threads on this topic...I did a search on 'hearing protection' in the Safety forum.

June
    February

There are plugs and headsets that block all sounds. Some of the headsets, e.g., Peltor Worktunes, that include a radio. There are also ones that just block the harmful frequencies and still allow other sounds to be heard.

Tractor
    Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs

My orange Stihl chainsaw ear muffs work great on the tractor too.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Foam earplugs work well and are cheap enough. I bought a set of Peltor Worktunes and am mixed on them. I was under the impression they were active noise cancellation which is not true as far as I can tell. They have a snug fitting muff which is passive noise suppression and the radio drowns out the rest. I do like them but they're not as sophisticated as I thought they would be. Also get uncomfortable after a few hours as I wear glasses.

For short stints I go without. Nothing like the raw sound of a diesel [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

For the long term mowing type work I use my shooting muffs. Really the standard big muffs. I can hear funny noises, I can hear just fine when I take a break, and I don't get that funny dull feeling in my head afterwards. They do get a bit hot in the summer but not too bad. Keeps the mosquitoes off your ears too.

Tractor
    NH TC-40A

Ditto on the shooting muffs. Low tech inexpensive kind. I like to listen to my MP3 player when I am outside working, whether it be mowing on the riding lawnmower, shredding on the tractor, or using the chainsaw. I do not listen to my music very loud and without the muffs I would not be able to hear it. The earmuffs drown out a lot of the "white noise", but I can still hear the purr of the engine, rotary cutter, etc., and I know what sounds are good and what sounds are bad.

Its funny, after driving tractors and operating equipment most of my life, it took buying an MP3 player and wanting to listen to music to make me start wearing hearing protection. Now, even if I am not listening to the radio, I prefer to wear my "ears". It is just less taxing on my head and I don't seem to get tired out as fast.

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

I use the foam ear plug type. I have some muffs but they are just too hot during the summer. Actually, I seem to hear the tractor and implement noises better with the plugs in as they seem drown out the louder noises and let me hear the more subtle noises.

I use dual protection. Foam and ear muffs.

Spent many an hour working around very noisy equipment. The hearing protection helped me distinguish between the Good and Bad sounds.

On the tractor I also wear both. The muffs help hold on the hard hat and also keep my ears warm in the winter!

Egon [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

You have to make a choice. Either you want to hear what's going on or you want to keep your hearing. I wear plugs or muffs. Sometimes both depending on what I'm doing. 20 years in a machine shop did enough damage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast