wearing gloves

/ wearing gloves #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
Interesting thought....I never wear gloves unless handling toxic materials or glass. This is my thinking...I would rather cut my finger using the chainsaw than have the glove come in contact with the bar and risk losing a whole hand. Anytime I operate machinery that requires wearing gloves close to the moving parts, I'd rather not wear them. It seems if the machinery snags the glove you will be in a world of hurt whereas if you have no glove on you can hopefully react fast enough to pull your hand away, causing minimal damage. Anyone agree?

/ wearing gloves #2  
I would tend to believe that if a chain saw caught a glove it might take the glove off your hand but do minimal damage to your hand. Think the gloves might afford some protection in this case. I do tend to wear gloves when using the Stihl.

/ wearing gloves #3  
I never thought about gloves much for safety but, you might have a point. I just don't like wearing gloves unless I have to.

/ wearing gloves #4  
<font color="blue"> ....I never wear gloves unless handling toxic materials or glass. This is my thinking...I would rather cut my finger using the chainsaw than have the glove come in contact with the bar and risk losing a whole hand. Anytime I operate machinery that requires wearing gloves close to the moving parts, I'd rather not wear them. It seems if the machinery snags the glove you will be in a world of hurt whereas if you have no glove on you can hopefully react fast enough to pull your hand away, causing minimal damage. Anyone agree?
</font>

Hey Deerefan,

I'm just the opposite. My gloves are the first things that I reach for, when doing work. They protect my hands from getting blisters, scratches, splinters, and ususually prevents them from getting bruished & cut.

There are plenty of times, that I can't use gloves though, when using my wrenches on nuts/bolts, etc, and dealing with small items, but as a rule, I always, wear my work gloves when I can, and I can get 5 pair of work gloves @ Harbor Freight for 5 dollars.

I can't imagine fueling a diesel truck, without gloves, but each his own. If you like getting grease, cuts, bruishes, scratches, and splinters in & on your hands, I say go for it.

As for Chainsawing, I can't imagine, trying to sharpen the chain, without gloves or for doing cutting either for that matter.

Get your tractors running &
Have a nice day,
Joe

/ wearing gloves #5  
You make a good point. Depends on the type of glove and the situation you make contact with. I usually wear gloves when sawing if the weather is cool enough (and usually don't saw much when the weather is warm or hot).
Leather gloves in contact with a moving chain may pull your hand into the teeth more than if the glove was not there. It is a problem when wearing leather gloves and operating a circular saw, such as a table saw. The teeth will drag the hand into it instantly (saw that happen, to a guy who was following the safety procedures in a Gov't saw shop). In some cases, having a splinter may be better, as well as just having the finger cut rather than the whole hand.
I'd say it is a catch-22, but something to ponder.

I usually saw with Jersey cotton gloves on. I find that more comfortable than leather. Handling sawn wood when dry calls for leather gloves to help with splinters. When I handle the chain, I usually don't wear gloves.

Just a decision each has to contemplate on their own. No perfect answer, but a bit of a crap shoot, IMO.

Good food for thought though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ wearing gloves
It was a thought that crossed my mind this weekend while cutting up a tree that fell on my cross fencing. I wear ear and eye protection and shy away from baggy clothes when operating the saw. I kind of chuckled that I take all these precautions yet have no gloves. It was bothering me enough that I put the saw down and pondered the pros and cons and decided no gloves was probably better. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ wearing gloves #7  
I believe (have not looked recently) that there are recommended safety gloves for chainsawing. Not sure, but think they have a left glove that has a palm full of kevlar or nylon, and maybe some back-of-the-hand protection.

/ wearing gloves #8  
I usually wear gloves. I have some calluses but since I do office work 40 hours a week my hands are still a little soft. I'm also a little biased because I work for one of the largest domestic producers of industrial gloves. We have to source some of our product to stay competitive but still do more than half of our sales volume with US made product. There are some newer products out there in the glove business that wear better than old type work gloves while still maintaining an acceptable level of protection.

Shameless plug -> Best Manufacturing Co.

Jeff

/ wearing gloves #9  
one of my neighbors lost his arm up to just above his elbow when his glove got caught in an auger. It was one of those act before you think situations, but the glove got caught, and ripped his arm off. He is well over 300lbs otherwise he might have been IN the auger.

/ wearing gloves #10  
I'm gonna go with the same idea as wearing seatbelts has caused a few deaths in car crashes. Maybe they have, but I'd bet that they save 100 to 1 more lives than they cost.

Gloves prevent more injuries than the cause. No hard facts, just opinion.

And yes, that would require wearing the RIGHT KIND OF GLOVE, and one that's sized correctly.

Like Johnny Cochran said, "If the gloves don't fit, you must aquit". /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif