glass in cabs

/ glass in cabs #1  

jdkid

Gold Member
Akaroa South Island ,New Zealand (about 1/2 way do
Tractor
8350 valmet with 980SL FEL duels had a 150 Hp deutz just sold it 10 NOV 01
Hi ya
I know alot of ya have not got cabs but i hope one of ya's on here or may know some one who does know ..what dose the E1 mean thats on the glass i looked at my pick up and it has E6 glass in it i ask this cos i broke a window yesterday (tractor rolled back ,brake fail and hit a shed) so i got a new glass for it and while fitting it it blowed in my face so i think the glass is poor or under rated for the job ya may not have $.02 on this one but even $.01 would be a start ...more info if ya asking someone it's pre drilled for bolts ,hinges gas struts etc etc no frame just a push on seal .bout 4X3 foot in size E1 spec's....
thanks
JD Kid

/ glass in cabs #2  
Sorry, JD, can't answer your question but as misery loves company... I broke an opening glass window at the right rear of my cab. Had an argument with about a 6-8 inch diameter tree while brush hogging. I ran over the tree and it sprang back up and slapped the window. I thought my neighbor had shot at me. Glass broke into a few thousand little cubes like it was supposed to do to prevent getting stabbed with big pieces. It is a curved glass with three holes in it, two for hinges and one for the latch. It is roughly 1x2 ft and cost, gulp, whine, complain...$150 US. I will try to be a better citizen and avoid a repeat. Spent a frustrating hour trying to install it, nearly dropping it a couple times but got help when my dealer delivered my new box blade. Only took a couple minutes with "extra hands".

Check those brakes fellow! I recall the story of the guy and girl looking for a little privacy who improvised by crawling under his pickup. The guy was somewhat intent on his immediate environment and activities and did not notice the patrolman standing beside him. The patrolman enquired as to what he thought he was doing and he replied, "checking my drive shaft." The patrolman said, "maybe you should have checked your brakes, your truck rolled down the hill a few minutes ago."

Patrick

/ glass in cabs
Hi ya
yep the brakes are being done this week just inbetween 2 nicks ie not full on and too hard to get to next one .yea glass is pricey the stuff i got is worth about 300 or more USD's ..can ya have a look at ya glass and see what eatched on it .oh yea has it got black dots around the outside it does mean something !
catch ya
JD Kid

/ glass in cabs #5  
JD, Sorry old man, my Kubota supplied replacement glass doesn't seem to have any markings, not even a maker's mark. I'm used to seeing labels on the glass like "LOF" (Libey-Owens-Ford) or something but I think the replacement glass was not labeled. I don't recall seeing any label on the original but I'm not 100% sure.

I just got back from going to take a look. The matching piece on the other side of the tractor has no label that I can see (poor lighting and not real clean).

All I know for sure was that it definitely was safety glass. When it broke it went into very small cubes. I don't think I could have found a piece as big as 1/4 inch.

On a similar topic to the "tree that ate my window", when I forget to fold the mirrors out of the way they take a lot of abuse from limbs. I thought for sure I broke one a few times but so far they have survived, a testimony to good engineering I think. The only downside is that if a mirror gets pushed around in front of the door there isn't any way to open the door without scraping the paint, oh my. And while on the topic of running into things, the armor that protects the steering stuff on both sides of the front axle is way too skimpy in size and strength. I eat way too many of the rubber thingies that cover the steering balls due to the metal protecto-cover is too short and gets all smashed up too easily (too puny in thickness). I'll be making that a priority one project to split some pipe to put there as an improved guard...or something likek that. SUGESTIONS WELCOME, ANYONE?

Yeah, I know, I coulda-shoulda bought a surplus tank.

Patrick (Hope my previous post wasn't to risque for you, JD, I wouldn't want to embarrass such a sensitive creature.)

/ glass in cabs #6  
I don't have a cab, but have replaced quite a bit of breakage prone glass with Plexiglas or better yet Lexan. If you used Lexan, it would be almost impossible to break. It is really tuff stuff. It is also a lot easier to work with that real glass or safety glass. Have any of you tried it in your cabs?

18-32460-1250sig.gif

/ glass in cabs
Hi ya
well i have heard it before but it was not so tame :) on here i tone it down a lot from my real life cos it makes it hard to read when it reads as
guys ya would not f@#$en belive what a f#$%en dumb c#$% i am i broke a...... etc etc
on another note i sent a email to 2 glass out fit's to find out the E1 Vs E6 thing so when i find out i might post the high lights here for ya info
catch ya
JD Kid

/ glass in cabs #8  
Lexan is used for bullet-proof glass. When I was commercial fishing on long line boats out of Florida we used it exclusively for the windows in the boats. We had one boat that docked in Madeira Beach, FL. that had huge windows. The old timers swore they would blow in if the boat dove under a wave but they never did. The hands on that boat made a lot of money betting big strong drunks that they couldn't punch the windows out. I never seen those windows knocked out, even after a sore loser tried to do it with a boat hook! One thing with Lexan, it scratches real easy. We would wash the windows with our bare hand and clear water because if you hit 'em with the green pad we washed the rest of the boat with it would turn them translucent with one swipe.

/ glass in cabs #9  
bgott, Unless crews in Florida are way different that SOCAL, if they didn't break the windows it wasn't for lack of trying. If memory serves, Lexan is one commercial name for polycarbonate an improved plexiglass (another trade name that became generic). Unless UV additives have been improved a bunch since I last researched this stuff (and they probably have been), Lexan deteriorates with exposure to UV (sun) and relatively quickly falls to strength characteristics of plexiglass. We need to go to Frisco and get some transparent aluminum! (Sorry, a misspent youth as a Trekie)

As in my case, since the glass in question is curved, the replacement isn't too straight forward. I can do heat forming of plastic sheet or real glass for that matter but it isn't optically worth a damn if I do it at home. I'd be lucky to get the glass to seal on its rubber gaskets if I did it. This was an opening "wind wing" vent window to complicate matters. Soooooo until and unless I start going through these $150 goobers at an alarming rate (one was fairly alarming) I'll pass on the DIY project. I already replaced this first example of my overly aggressive driving. The Kubota parts network uses computer terminals at all the warehouses and dealers and I am not so far from the BIG regional supply point at Dallas (Dull Ass??) Texas so I get parts pretty quick.

Lexan was the glazing of choice in some subways to stop vandals from breaking the windows but they didn't have a UV problem. I was told that it was really funny to watch the hoodlums try to break out a window before the near indestrucable qualities became well known.

Patrick

/ glass in cabs
Hi ya
i wondered what that lexan was a guy at the glass shop did say use polycarb but cos it was not in a frame and it has a curved it did not work out but i'll file the info all the same as my dozer has framed flat windows in it so polycarb would be just the ticket..
catch ya
JD Kid