Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight!

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #11  
I'm with Bird, a WD hitch does not make up for a poorly loaded trailer, a WD hitch is not a sway prevention device despite people calling them sway bars. It only shifts weight between the truck axles. It does not distribute the weight of the load on the trailer.

I have always planned to reach down and hit the trailer brakes if I felt sway. Seems that accelerating through the sway would be spooky.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #12  
Joe, I would be afraid to try to accelerate through a swaying problem if the trailer had no brakes. But if you have trailer brakes, you can manually apply the trailer brakes and accelerate very slightly and pull everything back straight. I drove most of the way across South Dakota once in a crosswind with one finger on the brake controller. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #13  
Bird, I've reread my post several times and can't see where I said a WD hitch would prevent trailer sway. If it came across that way I apologize. On the other hand basic physics shows where three attached points is more likely to lessen sway than attachment to the tow ball alone. The only thing I know that will prevent sway is the combination of proper loading of trailer, tow vehicle & trailer not exceding GVWR of TV a decent WD hitch with swaybar as well as proper tire inflation and safe driving techniques. Although I must admit this does take some of the excitement out of towing.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #14  
I was pulling my 24' cargo trailer to pick up a skid of plastic bags. I just shuffled my cargo forward enough so I had room for the skid of bags and the forklift operator set them on the back of the trailer. As soon as I got back on the highway and up to speed my trailer switched lanes so violently I almost went out the window. I pulled off I-75 real quick and got into the trailer and broke that skid down redistributing the weight. The bags were almost 3000# and that really messed up my tongue weight. I can attest to the fact that tongue weight is very important.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it came across that way I apologize )</font>

And I apologize for misunderstanding; just wanted to be sure everyone understands the difference between "weight distributing" and "sway control". Of course even a sway control won't prevent all swaying.

I've been pulling different kinds of trailers now for 49.5 years, so I've had my share of scares, but so far, no accidents. The first trailer I pulled was a little utility trailer hauling barrels of mud and dirt from the pit in the car wash bay in my dad's service station. How many remember the clamp on trailer hitch? I had one clamped on the back bumper of my '46 Chevy 2-door sedan. And the first time I loaded it with almost no tongue weight (made it easy to hook up), I got one of the worst scares of my life. Fortunately, no other traffic around when it went to fishtailing, and I got it back under control, but you can be sure I've never done that again.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #16  
Bird, That was back when bumpers were bumpers. We used to rent them from U-Haul to tow our race car to the track. Didn't know much about safety then, don't remember ever having a problem. I think this came under the heading of ignorance is bliss.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #17  
Ah yes, accelerate and apply the trailer brakes seems like a fine idea.

Gotta be careful not to spill my beer though with all that quick action and what about the cell phone call I'm involved with? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are some fine sway control devices out there with the Reese dual cam system being the preferred device of RVers. The WD system doesn't really attach with three poitns since the chain attachment only works to transfer force in the direction of the tension. This is clear by noting no difficulty turning the combination around corners.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #18  
OK, who was the youngest driver to dump their load in the road? I did it when I was sixteen. Got my picture in the paper too. That was many years ago.

Here's the story.

Like I said, I was sixteen, and working part time at the boat place after school. On one of my few days off from school I went to work for a full day. Soon after arriving the boss man told me to take a rather large boat to a local auto electric shop for outside repair. He told me to hook it up to the car he provided, then told me where to take it.

No problem. I did as I was told. Then I took off.

The interstate was the logical path to take to get to the assigned destination. I was only a mile or so from the shop, and just accelerating on the interstate when things started to go bad. The first thing I felt was the car starting to sway. I looked in the rear view mirror. The boat was moving back and forth behind the car. Not good. In a heartbeat the rear end of the car was following the boat's sway. Not good and getting worse.

In the next half heart beat, the rear end of the car broke loose and I went into a skid. I steered into the skid. So far, so good. The boat went the other way.

Oh crap. I steered the other way. The boat changed direction, and took the car with it. Oh more crap..

In the next half heart beat, the car changed direction and I felt the road shake. Then I came to a stop. The boat was sitting in the road behind me, and I was in the middle lane aiming in the opposite direction from which I was going only seconds before. Real bad day for a rookie.

So, what went wrong?

As I've learned in the ensuing years of towing. Most anything that could be wrong, was. First off, the load was balanced wrong on the trailer. Almost no tonque weight. To make matters worse, the trailer weight exceeded the tow vehicle weight. Improper balance can be overcome somewhat if the trailer is much lighter than the towing vehicle, but not the other way around. Either way is wrong.

To make matters worse, the tow vehicle had terrible suspension for a tow vehicle. It had plenty of power, but was designed for a smooth ride rather than towing.

Therefore, I was doomed before I left the lot. And to make matters worse, the load was not properly secured to the trailer. No tie down straps. I've often heard fools since that day tell me that a heavy load doesn't need tie downs.

Right.

The heavier the load, the more force there is to pull that load off the trailer. Tie the danged thing down, whatever it is. If it can come off, sooner of later, it will.

OK, let's make this story a bit shorter. What went wrong?

Everything.

Improper load displacement. No tie downs. Improper tow vehicle. Inexperienced driver.

Yet I was following directions from an experienced and mature employer. His explanation? I should have stomped on the gas to straighten it out.

Yeah, right, I should have speeded up, but to me, the only thing I wanted to do was to get the nightmare stopped.

To this day I respect a towed load and encourage proper load distribution, as well as proper load to tow vehicle matchup.

What scares the heck out of me is the combination of these new, impressive tow vehicles on the market. These new trucks have mega horses and the torque to pull many tons of tralered weight. And they can pull these weights in excess of the posted speed limits without breaking a sweat. Yep, that's scary. Give them a wide berth.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the Reese dual cam system being the preferred device of RVers )</font>

Joe, I had to go to their website to see if they still made those. I haven't seen one of them in many years, probably because nearly everything is fifth-wheel now instead of conventional pull trailers. We had friends with the dual cam system 30 years ago. It was a bit different from what they're making now. I guess it was alright on the road, but when you started turning, backing, etc., it made so much noise and sounded like something breaking that I didn't like it. Of course if you greased it to stop the noise, you also reduced its effectiveness. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Personally, I used the Eaz-Lift friction sway control.

/ Lived & Learned... watch the tongue weight! #20  
They still make the dual cam and people still like them. I am not convinced it (sway control) is needed unless something is not loaded or built right. The complaint I have heard with the friction bar style is that the rain effects the amount of friction and that they work in both ways to slow the crooked trailer from straightening.

I don't use sway control on RVs or equipment trailers and in fact get a bit of teasing for even using WD on the equipment trailer.

Seems the dual cam, the prodigy controller, and the honda eu2000i generators are the cats meow in the RV world. Everything else is debatable.