Dirty Jobs on 1/17

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
Anyone watch this show last night?

Several examples of unsafe practices shown at the potato farm.

The owner had Mike driving a Bobcat.

The top was cut off. No roll protection. No safety bar.

And finally, the owner operating the Bobcat while standing on the seat.

I'd expect this guy will be getting a visit from OSHA in the near future. Unless he's exempt.

Stay safe.

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #2  
I saw part of that--the part with his homemade digger. All I could focus on were all the chains and sprockets with no guards on them!

And the actor in the trailer near the outlet point for the potato chain.....................

I'm sure that runs slowly and pretty quietly--just the right combination for something bad to happen and then everyone will be so suprised how "something like this could happen......."

If the owner's Insurance Agent was watching, he should be cringing!

Ron

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #3  
i usually watch the show. and when i am not home i tape it, but this time i forgot. the show should be called "DANGEROUS JOBS". they will repeat it (show) later this week. mike rowe is a riot..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I saw part of that--the part with his homemade digger. All I could focus on were all the chains and sprockets with no guards on them!

And the actor in the trailer near the outlet point for the potato chain.....................

I'm sure that runs slowly and pretty quietly--just the right combination for something bad to happen and then everyone will be so suprised how "something like this could happen......."

If the owner's Insurance Agent was watching, he should be cringing!

Ron )</font>

That home-made digger looked rather suspicious to me. We were using them way back in the 40s as horsedrawn equipment converted to tractor so the design goes way back before that. The conveyor at least looks like it came off of one of the old ones.

Harry K

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #5  
And then he was driving the JDTractor, I think it was a 4000 series, with the ROPS down while the farm manager was riding in the bucket with the dead turkeys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Course they were in Texas and it was flat flat flat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But given the amount of poo that man shovels, sprays and vacuums, I think operating equipment is the least of his safety worries. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #6  
I was just about to mention the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif!

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #7  
I liked the part where he was driving the "big John Deere 400" I think it was a 400 - the big loader at Dr. Gobblers - and made the comment on the "importance of knowing which way the wind was blowing". He then dumped the load of loose lite turkey poo and half of it blew in the cab /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Was in a nice air conditioned cab with the windows & doors open!

How about the cable snapping in the Marble mine? I couldn't believe how close they were standing to it while it was being tightened up. It was really something to see that 1" (looked to be about 1") braided steel cable snap.

I agree, Mike Rowe is a riot. Love that show although sometimes it gets a little gross - like last night when they were removing the poo pump in San Fran. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Makes me thankful for my job - most of the time..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #8  
I think Mike lost a pair of underware when that cable snapped. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was watching them pull the block and saying you need to get back. You are to close. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Course the next job was him playing with cows and bulls which had me in stitches. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "Course the next job was him playing with cows and bulls which had me in stitches." )</font>

Speaking of safety concerns, having my arm up a cow's rear-end with what looked like to be gloves made out of sandwich bag material would be a safety concern for me - especially when he pulled out the big wad of poo. I would would want shoulder length welding gloves and a full body suit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I grew up a round cattle, nothing like the scale they had on that ranch. I had heard of "palpating" (sp??) cattle, but thought it was the cattleman's version of snipe hunting. Just did not seem possible to me - boy, was I wrong. Was incredible to watch then here Mike talk about feeling the calf in there and could feel the face, ears, etc. That is fascinating.

Him "consoling" the bull with "how it happens to the best of us" had me ROTFLMBO!

Eddie

/ Dirty Jobs on 1/17 #10  
I don’t think that Bobcat had been modified. I believe that was an antique one that they built before FOPS and safety features were built into them. They were sure a lot more dangerous machines then.

It was interesting to me to see the turkey farm. We have a commercial chicken farm so it was familiar but different. We also deal with a lot of manure.

This week I was cleaning out the barns. My wife was helping me. She broke a water line, a feed line, and broke out a wall with the skid steer all in about an hour. She came to me with tears in her eyes saying that she messed up. I think she is trying to get fired.

Eric