Chain and binders

/ Chain and binders #31  
For perhaps different reasons (perhaps the same), I'd have to say that I'm with you on not really being afraid of Chinese made chain even though I do use U.S. made. We certainly agree on not using the nylon straps though. At least you are smart enough to know that without having to have the lesson given to you the hard way like I did. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif All the other stuff is trivial in my book when comparing the type of binder the country of origin of chain etc. It's when someone wants to say that they are darn fine with using straps and that straps are just fine, that's where I have absolute proof that they are simply flat wrong. And, it's hard to not be annoyed when someone like that gives advice that is quite honestly dangerous to someone who doesn't know better. Hopefully we don't have that contingent of people show up and want to say that using the ratcheting nylon straps are fine as long as they are in good condition etc. If so, Mr. Highbeam, you'll have to handle those. I have too hard of a time not using that "stupid" word when discussing that issue. Heck, I admit that I was on that "stupid" side and got off easy when I learned that I was just plain wrong.

/ Chain and binders #32  
For perhaps different reasons (perhaps the same), I'd have to say that I'm with you on not really being afraid of Chinese made chain even though I do use U.S. made. We certainly agree on not using the nylon straps though. At least you are smart enough to know that without having to have the lesson given to you the hard way like I did. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif All the other stuff is trivial in my book when comparing the type of binder the country of origin of chain etc. It's when someone wants to say that they are darn fine with using straps and that straps are just fine, that's where I have absolute proof that they are simply flat wrong. And, it's hard to not be annoyed when someone like that gives advice that is quite honestly dangerous to someone who doesn't know better. Hopefully we don't have that contingent of people show up and want to say that using the ratcheting nylon straps are fine as long as they are in good condition etc. If so, Mr. Highbeam, you'll have to handle those. I have too hard of a time not using that "stupid" word when discussing that issue. Heck, I admit that I was on that "stupid" side and got off easy when I learned that I was just plain wrong.

/ Chain and binders #33  
"We certainly agree on not using the nylon straps though. At least you are smart enough to know that without having to have the lesson given to you the hard way like I did."

I wouldn't have been that smart had I not read your story about broken straps. Until I read that I would not have known just how unsuitable straps are.

I am growing tired of threading chains through the front of the frame and I may seek to mount some hooks like in the Kubota picture.

I am also growing tired of using full length chains. 3/8" chain comes in 16' lengths and I haven't cut them shorter. I could get away with the half chains as suggested earlier and save lots of time wrapping the slack round and round the binder. Good idea!

/ Chain and binders #34  
"We certainly agree on not using the nylon straps though. At least you are smart enough to know that without having to have the lesson given to you the hard way like I did."

I wouldn't have been that smart had I not read your story about broken straps. Until I read that I would not have known just how unsuitable straps are.

I am growing tired of threading chains through the front of the frame and I may seek to mount some hooks like in the Kubota picture.

I am also growing tired of using full length chains. 3/8" chain comes in 16' lengths and I haven't cut them shorter. I could get away with the half chains as suggested earlier and save lots of time wrapping the slack round and round the binder. Good idea!

/ Chain and binders #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am also growing tired of using full length chains. 3/8" chain comes in 16' lengths and I haven't cut them shorter. )</font>

I'll admit that I took my plasma cutter to some of my chains and cut them to the approx length I need for each corner. I really sort of needed two 10 foot chains rather than one 20' one anyway for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Chain and binders #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am also growing tired of using full length chains. 3/8" chain comes in 16' lengths and I haven't cut them shorter. )</font>

I'll admit that I took my plasma cutter to some of my chains and cut them to the approx length I need for each corner. I really sort of needed two 10 foot chains rather than one 20' one anyway for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif