Chain and binders

/ Chain and binders #1  

Roger2561

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but in my mind it's a safety issue. I have a JD4500, loaded rear tires, FEL, 4X4, the heaviest 3pth piece I have is nearly 900Lbs. I need recommendations regarding chains and binders for trailering; Grade, number of chains and binders, optimum anchoring points, etc...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Roger

/ Chain and binders #2  
Roger,
There have been many discussions and disagreements on securing the load on a trailer and many opinions re: grade 43 vs. grade 70 chain vs. ratchet straps. Without starting a whole new discussion, the general concensus seems to be as follows:
1) Use grade 70 chain or better. Chain load weight capacity varies depending on size of chain (1/4",5/16",3/8" etc.) so pick a chain size rated high enough to handle your load. (Most would probably use 3/8"). Use 1 chain at each corner of the tractor secured with ratchet binders.
2) Attachments such as bucket, rotary cutter, backhoe etc. should also be secured with separate chains and binders.
3) Chains should be positioned as to not allow forward, rearward, or side motion on the trailer.
4) Wheels should be blocked or chocked as well.
5) Brakes on tractor should be set and vehicle placed in gear in low range.
There are Dept. of Transportation laws for each state that apply for securing loads rated above and below 10,000 lbs. The laws vary per state but I think you'll be safe and legal securing as described above.

George

/ Chain and binders #3  
What size, brand, or grade ratcheting chain binders should be used? Also does anyone have anymore information about where to hook the chains at each corner (axle?) and where to put the chain binder? Maybe even some pictures. I assume that you wrap the chain around the axle and then around a corner of the trailer (mine has chain pipes in the rub rail just for this). Then use the binder to grab two pieces in the middle of the chain and pull them tighter. This is how I've used regular chain binders before. Thanks in advance for the help!

/ Chain and binders #4  
What size, brand, or grade ratcheting chain binders should be used? Also does anyone have anymore information about where to hook the chains at each corner (axle?) and where to put the chain binder? Maybe even some pictures. I assume that you wrap the chain around the axle and then around a corner of the trailer (mine has chain pipes in the rub rail just for this). Then use the binder to grab two pieces in the middle of the chain and pull them tighter. This is how I've used regular chain binders before. Thanks in advance for the help!

/ Chain and binders #5  
I would agree completely with what George said. As far as brands, I'm sure that some are certainly better than others and the concensus is that U.S., Canadian, or Japanese made chain is better than Chinese or Koren. I personally have all U.S. made grade 70 chain and binders, but I would not be afraid of using all Chinese made grade 70 chains and binders. I am not a metalurgist, and don't care to be, but you can find several sites on the internet that go into great detail of the steel making processes, but they also say that some metal made in China meets even the highest standards and some is junk. So, since I've spent so much money on my tractor and equipment, I went ahead and spent the extra $100 or so to buy all U.S. made stuff simply for piece of mind. The only thing I know for sure, since I personally experienced it, is that you can snap two "10,000" straps going down a highway dip with a 7500 pound trailer. I was in the 'straps are fine and are much easier to use' camp before that.

/ Chain and binders #6  
I would agree completely with what George said. As far as brands, I'm sure that some are certainly better than others and the concensus is that U.S., Canadian, or Japanese made chain is better than Chinese or Koren. I personally have all U.S. made grade 70 chain and binders, but I would not be afraid of using all Chinese made grade 70 chains and binders. I am not a metalurgist, and don't care to be, but you can find several sites on the internet that go into great detail of the steel making processes, but they also say that some metal made in China meets even the highest standards and some is junk. So, since I've spent so much money on my tractor and equipment, I went ahead and spent the extra $100 or so to buy all U.S. made stuff simply for piece of mind. The only thing I know for sure, since I personally experienced it, is that you can snap two "10,000" straps going down a highway dip with a 7500 pound trailer. I was in the 'straps are fine and are much easier to use' camp before that.

/ Chain and binders #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( about where to hook the chains at each corner (axle?) and where to put the chain binder? Maybe even some pictures. I assume that you wrap the chain around the axle and then around a corner of the trailer (mine has chain pipes in the rub rail just for this). )</font>

You can wrap the chain around the axle. If you are concerned about the chain scratching up the paint, you can get axle straps at TSC. They are a short nylon webbing that you wrap around the axle and you hook your chain to the ends of the strap.
On my Kubota I bolted hooks on the front to attach the chains to. (see picture)

Attachments

• 896923-4330 Kubota hooks.JPG
    896923-4330 Kubota hooks.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 357
   / Chain and binders #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( about where to hook the chains at each corner (axle?) and where to put the chain binder? Maybe even some pictures. I assume that you wrap the chain around the axle and then around a corner of the trailer (mine has chain pipes in the rub rail just for this). )</font>

You can wrap the chain around the axle. If you are concerned about the chain scratching up the paint, you can get axle straps at TSC. They are a short nylon webbing that you wrap around the axle and you hook your chain to the ends of the strap.
On my Kubota I bolted hooks on the front to attach the chains to. (see picture)

/ Chain and binders #9  
On one of my antique tractors I bolted lifting rings to the front axle to attach my chains to. Many tractors have holes or bolts through the front axle that can be utilized. I will attach a picture.

Attachments

• 896926-untitled (Small) (Small).JPG
    896926-untitled (Small) (Small).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 654
   / Chain and binders #10  
On one of my antique tractors I bolted lifting rings to the front axle to attach my chains to. Many tractors have holes or bolts through the front axle that can be utilized. I will attach a picture.