Fire safety and your tractor

/ Fire safety and your tractor #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
It's summer.. lots of places have had little rain, and it that time of year where many of us are getting lots of seat time. That means it's a great time to check your fire extinguisher on your tractor. Don't have one? Then it's a great time to get one.

v3557.jpg

Soundguy

/ Fire safety and your tractor #2  
It's a good time to think about when you will mow or work too. Remember, moisture/dew is highest in the morning, and at it's lowest in the afternnon. The fuel moisture level tracks that. If you mow, do it at the break of dawn. Don't mow in the afternoon.

I've been on a few fires caused by folks on tractors and lawn mowers, in dry conditions, in the afternnon. The last one, if my engine company had taken even 2 minutes longer to get there, the house would have been involved.

If it is a red flag day, don't mow at all...

/ Fire safety and your tractor #3  
Another thing... Make sure you have a defensible space around your house. It should be mowed and trimmed in at least a 30' radius of the house. California Dep of Forestry used to say 30' for sure, 60' is better. After all the fires in the LA area, they recommend at least 100'

CDF INFO page

/ Fire safety and your tractor #4  
My father in law just bought me a extinguisher for my tractor, they really should be standard equipment for all tractors.

/ Fire safety and your tractor
All my tractors that I do any real 'work' on have a fire extinguisher and a firt aid kit, and cup holder for taking a bottled water or gatorade with me. Very easy to get exhausted in the heat.. and a chug of water or g-aid can make the difference from being sick to being ok.

Soundguy

/ Fire safety and your tractor #6  
I am careful. I have 2 extinguishers on my tractor. One on each side on the loader frame.

Ben

/ Fire safety and your tractor #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and cup holder for taking a bottled water or gatorade with me. Very easy to get exhausted in the heat.. and a chug of water or g-aid can make the difference from being sick to being ok. )</font>

Yep. Heat exhaustion can sneak up on the strongest man and lay him out like a rag doll.

Or even kill him.

/ Fire safety and your tractor #8  
Let me second that!

I've experienced heat-stroke twice and once you feel it it's already too late to do anything about it. In both cases it was honestly the worst I've ever felt.....down for a few days in each case. Since, my ability to handle heat and work has declined. It's almost like a heat-stroke ratchets down your ability to work thereafter. I"m only 30, but I constantly watch myself now because I never want to have it again...... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate......all of those "little" jobs you go out to take on for an hour or so which turn into big jobs are the killers.